Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Any Silver spray guns for sale?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

Re: Any Silver spray guns for sale?

Post by erik winkler »

Bringing this great topic new life.

With my tests I want to go larger than large and was wondering how you would tackle a glass panel as big as the Rawson & Evans one:

In my premature opinion pooring the solution would be horrible, because leveling a panel this large takes for ages.
On the other hand a dam on the outside of the panel could be made to hold the solution on, but still the deposit would not be even, unless you leveled the panel perfect.
And ebay does not sell silvering spray guns anymore for 28 us dollars.
If I look at the beautifull setup Sarah sells it will need three different guns etc....
http://angelgilding.com/A4107.html
Do you really need a spraygun for the tinning?
How would silvering this large panel be best acomplished?

Winky
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

This 110" x 36" piece was done by pouring the silver.

So was this 69" x 50" piece.

The R&E piece pictured would probably be around 150" x 50". That's a big piece of glass Eric. You might be gettin' yourself into something bigger than you are. It might be hard to pour silver this size, but not impossible. Damming the glass would probably be a good idea. Don't know if you could reach over it to spray it. You'll have to build some sort of jig to support the glass while working on it.

You're gonna need a big wall to hand it on.

Hey, good luck!

May the Great Spirit watch over you.

-Aho!

DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Erik.
When I first started silvering I used to help the man that taught me to silver glass. Some glass panels were as big as 8'x5' I used to pour at one end and Bernard would pour from the other. He would clean the glass and tin the glass, I would have to watch and learn in the early days of silvering. If you plan on silvering big glass jobs you will need other people to help you with this. Leveling the glass is important and cleaning is everything..
Good luck......
Dave
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Larry those panels you made are huge!
I remember that you wrote the `how to` of the cigar panel, but did not realize it was so big, even when you posted the photo hanging it above your couch or bed.
Dave help will be needed indeed. Just thinking about it: "30 seconds of tinning, haha when I am finally at the last end, the first end will probably be tinned for 2 minutes already!" :?
Mayethat is why so many guys pose on the photo, they all helped.

I googled the average height of the man around 1900 and it was 5'9".
http://en.allexperts.com/q/U-S-History-672/Height.htm

So that made the Rawson & Evans glass 380cm x 115cm about 150 inch x 45 inch.
Rawson & Evans size forum.jpg
Rawson & Evans size forum.jpg (148.49 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
It could be done, so it can be done.
Out of respect for the guys standing in front of the wooden shed, I must try to make a large one also.
Pfffjoewww will be a though one.

Winky
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I reckon you could do it Erik....just don't get that mix of silver wrong and blow yourself up.
One tip, slow the formula down by adding more stilled water to your final calculation, the silver will deposit exactly the same but slower giving you a more time .
have it warm in your room where you silver.
Dave