Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

to those who use a dehumidifier for chipping..........

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

vance galliher

to those who use a dehumidifier for chipping..........

Post by vance galliher »

I have a hot box much like rick had with 4 heat lamps and a small fan, and it get to 110 temp with 31-40 humidity. It has worked fairly well. Today I bought a Whirlpool 25 pint dehumidifier ($150). I'm going to build a larger space, like maybe a 4'x4'x8' box in the corner of the room for my new appliance to live and more/larger pieces to chip. How should I provide the "heat" factor for this space....so that I will never again have to worry about if my glass is going to chip ? Would the same heat lamp work or do I need something stronger?....thanks
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

I purchased one of these Coleman Heaters off ebay and have found it to work quite well. I've got a walk-in booth that's about 5' x 10' x 8'. I can get it up to almost 100 degrees. I haven't checked the humidity level, cause the glue always chips off. The nice thing about it is it's fairly cheap to run. You can fill it up, light it, and walk away. It automatically extinguishes when it runs out of fuel. It can run almost all night when full.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Joe Goodson

Post by Joe Goodson »

I have been entertaining the idea of building a light box using an old pc power pupply and a few case fans to move the air ..... and possibly a reostat (sp?) to control the intensity of the light / heat output. I am only at the concept stage as of now, but I bet my wife will be glad when I finally get around to building one.

She HATES it when she discovers that I have a small glue chip piece drying out in her oven on low heat. Last time I did that, it chipped out part way before I could get it out and glue chips were everywhere. She wasn't a happy camper.

Back to business......do you guys have a link to a page that has blueprints for a light box, or do we just get creative?

Joe
Actions speak louder than words.