Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Signmaking 101: Ladders/Walkboards & Sketches

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Lennig

Signmaking 101: Ladders/Walkboards & Sketches

Post by John Lennig »

Ok, mike, not real tricky, but important, all the same.

My friend was on a ladder/plank set-up doing trim painting on his house. He had been crouched down, painting for a bit, stood up, and realized, halfway to the ground, that he had fallen. The "wow, i'm dizzy after standing up" thing had happened. Usually we're on solid ground, and can laugh and say "Whoa", but on a plank, off balance is off plank! He's recovering with 2 broken ribs, punctured lung, broken collarbone, bruises.

So, in the air? careful when standing up, get a grip!

If you want to get practice with loose styles, scripts, etc., try using a Sharpie, or wedge tip felt pen, do some words on sheet of paper, project and lightly sketch with charcoal or pencil. not lots o detail, but the gist of it. letter. You get the nice look, easier than laying out full size stuff for a newbie... Is this clear? hmmmm

John Lennig / SignRider
"You spelled it wrong!"
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I will add to John's comments about the script:

Sometimes, when trying to "DRAW" a line of script, it can end up very stiff and contrived (like many script fonts). To get a loose script, just whip it out quickly on a piece of paper using a broad tipped marker, calligraphic felt tip, or even a piece of charcoal layed flat. You'll get a very loose and distinctive script. From there, you can trace around the edges to clean up any minor flaws if necessary and then either scan it, project it or photocopy it for use on the sign design.

I usually write out a word or line four of five times quickly. One of the group will be much better than the others, but occasionally I will use the best elements of each.

John, Thanks for posting this little gem.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Dave Draper

Post by Dave Draper »

Speaking of ladders and walk planks, that is one thing I don't miss about the old days of wall dog work.

I still use scafold, very sturdy double sided step ladders, and of course scissor lifts, but my days of strecthig a plank between two extension ladders are over. No job is to "die for!" And IMHO, that one support system that should be outlawed, banned, with fines to the max.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I just paid a company to finish painting our new addition on three walls. With two mature blue spruce trees in the way, and no way to maneuver a skylift in our yard, ladders, ladder jacks and walkboards were the only other means to do this job. While there is some danger working on them, I doubt they will ever go away. In some cities, OSHA has made them almost unuseable and inpracticle.

I've been on enough of them to know I don't enjoy the experience, even worse on a swinging stage three stories up. John's original post in this thread is still very valid whether on a walkboard, scaffold or scissor lift: Stand up slowly, get your bearings, and hold on to something if you have been sitting or kneeling for a long time--especially at heights.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Rick Sacks

Post by Rick Sacks »

I'm not understanding Dave's comment about the use of a plank on ladder jacks being unsafe? I've been doing that for the past thirty five years.
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"