Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Atkinson's "Last & Final Book" 1950 Ornate

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Atkinson's "Last & Final Book" 1950 Ornate

Post by Mike Jackson »

Atkinson's "Last & Final Book" 1950
ORNATE versus STREAMLINE
In composition with "streamline", I am suggesting - without apology - that ornate design be revived and returned to its deserved place in Sign Art, bacause of its combined advertising and attraction value which is incalculable and indisputable.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Atkinson's last book was printed in 1950. Being a master at ornamentation, I think he was frustrated by the movement to over simplify. Many of the books of the late '40s had the word "modern" in the title, such as Martin's Modern Ideas Book 4

This plate from Martin's book 4 illustrates the movement to "panelize" and break up space using geometric shapes...not much in the way of cury-Qs and flourishes which appears to have frustrated Frank some.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

ante·di·luvi·an n.
1. Extremely old and antiquated.
2. Bible Occurring or belonging to the era before the Flood.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Love it....My hero Ivan Ellicott (Peterborough Ontario) sho-card writer, before I started my apprenticeship here in Ottawa, admired and showed me H.C.Martins books. With 30 or so years of reflection I can understand "Uncle Franks" frustration. Even today I notice a "trend" in several directions. There seems to be the Gary Anderson look....the Mike Stevens look and the Noel Weber look. I love them all but I wonder which one of those I fall into ...(he says scratching his head). Look forward to the day when I get to see all these assorted and wonderful books out there!
Ron Percell
Site Admin

Post by Ron Percell »

I'd have to agree with Frank.

Doug,,you have that "Wood Chuck Look",, all joking aside, your work is excellent.