Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Blabbermouth me, or just a polite host?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Blabbermouth me, or just a polite host?

Post by Mike Jackson »

Sometimes I look over the Forum and see my name a lot more than I would prefer. I don't know how many here have made posts, only to check back in later to find that no one has responded at all. Silence. I am always concerned, as one of the hosts, that people will quit posting if no one seems to want to hear what they have to say. That concern compels me to often follow up with a simple response, even if I don't have too much to add to the subject.

Please forgive me it appears I post too much! I'll take this post off in a couple of days, but seems to be appropriate tonight. I have been working pretty hard to add Signmaking 101 posts, so part of that is compounded into the formula right now.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Jon Harl

Post by Jon Harl »

I for one enjoy reading your posts. I also like the signmaking 101 posts and hope that they will continue. I for one will start trying to add original posts and ask more questions from now on. Thanks Mike.
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

I've been finding the 101 series very helpful- I particularly like the "chat" aspect of the information- and the stories! Working by myself, these help make me feel less like I'm in a "vaccuum"! Many thank :lol: s!
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Jill Marie Welsh

Post by Jill Marie Welsh »

Mike, as administrator, isn't it your duty on here to make posts?
I read everything that you write, and I respond when I feel qualified to.
This is a different kind of forum for some of us.
I find it quite refreshing as I know that most of the members are hand-painters, or simply share the love of the craft as I do.
I like the SIGNS 101 idea too and I tried to add my two cents, but as you know, I am a bit left of center. It does kinda make you feel empty when no one responds, but for every response listed I'm sure at least 50 people read the post.
Keep up the good work.
Love...Jill
Raymond Chapman

Just like Mike

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Mike - your job here as moderator is just like any other task that comes your way....you attack it with everything you have and "go the extra mile" to make it a success. To me, that's just the Mike Jackson approach - do it right or don't do it at all.

No, you're not posting too many times. Just giving us the benefit of your experience. Keep up the good work. The rest of us just need to try to keep up with you.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Mike,

I agree with Jill! I had a little bumpy start with my first post but you made me feel welcome and were open to at least try to understand my theory.....looking at that Spanjer R and thinking about a black return seemed a little daunting to me...so why not "dip" :D Nothing ventured....... That post got 300+ views....some I guess found interest in it.

This is "The Hand Lettering Forum".....I make all my letters by hand :wink:

Thanks for making me feel welcome and thanks for posting my Spanjer pick on the sharpening post!

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Ditto to what Ray said - you seem to feel a sense of obligation, Mike - and I think you should just go with it.

I can't contribute so much since I'm so responsible for my business running smoothly - and it takes a lot of work to keep 4 guys busy. But if I were in your shoes I would try to do as much as you do, Mike. It's like working in a community. Somebody has to take the reins and steer the wagon. You seem on course to me.

Keep up the good work - then pass it on when the time is right. Then find someone equally as passionate (there's that word again!!) to take over if need be.

The other day one of my baseball players on the team I coach asked me "where do you come up with all these strategies and training ideas?". I told him I spend all my time during baseball season reading about how to be a better coach because that is what I'm supposed to do for the kids on my team. He asked if I had a job besides coaching. I said I owned my own business and studied and worked just as hard at learning it well.

He couldn't understand how or why I did both. I said because I love baseball, my son is on the team and the parents who put their kids in the program expect me to teach their kids also - just like their kids get in school. The coaches who don't learn as much about coaching usually (if not all the time) have worse records than most. Our record in the last 3 years? 55 wins - 18 losses. Does hard work pay and do the kids learn form the hard work? Yep. And they will draw those conclusions later in life. All I want to do is impact them in a positive way - win or lose.

Just like us big kids.

Keep up the good work, Mike. And keep posting until it eats into more valuable time like fishing!!!
Jack Keith

Post by Jack Keith »

Mike;

I, for one, am always grateful to see your posts. I have learned more than I can possibly say
from reading the articles you'vem authored in Signcraft and now in the Signmaking 101 posts.

II know how much time it consumes to post and share all that you do but it has been of immeasurable benefit to countless signmakers.

So, thank you, and I do hope you will continue.

Jack
Did I spel that write?
cheryl

Post by cheryl »

I think you are doing a fine job Mike. Sometimes you have to be a pain (persistent) to get your point/ideas across. Keep up the great site. I miss handlettering....and this site keeps me connected to how I started in the sign biz.

Just to make myself clear, no I do not think you are a pain . (but I know I am ) It is good to be persistent and never give up. Keep on posting....yours are always informative.
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Mike, keep it up!

When you paraphrased my post about the felt pen/ blow it up technique...that was good! I have an idea about somethilng, but end up long-winded writing about it. You make it clear...... your experience in this(writing) is appreciated
John Lennig / SignRider
"You spelled it wrong!"
Janice Saunders

Re: Blabbermouth me, or just a polite host?

Post by Janice Saunders »

Well, it's been 13 years later since this original post and even though I have only posted once, you made me feel welcome. I may be wrong but it seems that a new generation of sign artists need to get in on this forum with the intensity that I read in the earlier posts. But all you skilled artists still working out there sure do make it easier for us newer ones to learn. If it was not for the internet, I would not be able to learn what I am learning and all I have is dial-up. I made a career change into being a sign artist a little over one year ago and I have no doubt it will happen for me. I'm 62 now. Still a lot to learn but with you all, constant practice and experimenting I should be fine. So, keep on doing what you do. Bye the way, it appears (by this forum anyway,) that there are not many women who enjoy making signs. To any women reading this, get on board. If you are out there, let me know.
All these projects are ready for stage 2. Wish me luck. I'm kind of nervous. I'm working on these to get confident so I may get out there and have some fun. Hey, how about someone hosting a get together around the Portland area!!! Might bring in some new meet.
Thank you again, Mike.
Attachments
On Swedish Pond (for the web).jpg
On Swedish Pond (for the web).jpg (121.14 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Bill & Laurie.jpg
Bill & Laurie.jpg (210.61 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Michaela (for the web.jpg
Michaela (for the web.jpg (173.27 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Michaela Glue Chip & Etched Render.jpg
Michaela Glue Chip & Etched Render.jpg (286.14 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Enlarged for the web.jpg
Enlarged for the web.jpg (111.62 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Guterrez 2nd stage.jpg
Guterrez 2nd stage.jpg (115.04 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Mikey....just keep doing what you're doing. I can see there's a huge following and just when I thought nobody was reading our stuff.... ;=)
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

It's always fun to see the old posts come back to the front page.

Actually, I like NOT seeing my name on the forum quite so much because that means others are posting a lot.

Janice, there are quite a few lady sign makers around. I hope you are the catalyst that helps them get involved.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Always good to read the posts here when I can. You have created a site with a wealth of knowledge Mike.
I need to check back in more often.
Hope all's well.
Dave
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Hey Janice, is that Portland, Oregon or Portland, Maine?
If you are in Oregon send me an email at
LBL@Integra.net
and i'll put you on the list of local-sign-folk-who-have-intermittent-meetings.
If you're in Maine you're on your own (although my niece lived there for a while and said the people were "scary friendly").
where am i? Now, when i need me...
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

~ It's always fun to see the old posts come back to the front page.

Mike Jackson
Mike (and the other Mods.) in most forums, it is not "Kosher" to resurrect old threads.
Having just read back all 70 pages since 2004, I found several very interesting and informative
posts that are still relavent here in 2017. Most were single posts with no activity in a decade.
after all these years, I still have "the itch" to learn new things.
I too would like to see some of the old posts reopened for discussion !!!!
Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA ~ 1980-2008 (Retired)
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Forums like this one are perfect for storing a wealth of information. Unlike some of the social media sites, the information is still available to anyone interested it, and by adding a post into the thread, it returns to the main page. I would encourage anyone to resurrect any old post that interests you or you think others might enjoy seeing again.

Don't forget you can use the SEARCH feature to find specific topics or keywords.

MJ
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Alex Sheldon

Post by Alex Sheldon »

Mike,
The wealth of knowledge and talent you have shared and enabled here is phenomenal. I’m so thankful of you and Danny keeping this going and aren’t hesitant to share. I’ve been lurking on this site for years and finally posted a thread to contribute this week. Seriously, thank you for everything you do.
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

and double that, Alex !!

I attended Ken Millar's "Sign Knowledge" workshop in Colombia, SC in 1988
and have been Hooked on Phunics ever since !!
dozens and dozens of Letterhead/Lettervillle meets have been the most rewarding.
keep up the good works, guys ~ Keep the Craft ALIVE !!!
Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA ~ 1980-2008 (Retired)