Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Let the chips fall where they may.

Post by Roderick Treece »

I have heard that some people remelt their left over glue chips.If so do they add any water to the mix?It would seem that you would need to but I have no experience with it.
Thanks
Roderick
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I was given notes by a practicing decendent of Rawson & Evans that they ALWAYS reused the glue, and only added new glue to maintain the batch. Sadly the information was passed on in a deathbed situation, so there was not the best detailed step by step recording of the proceedure.
The note stated to place the used chips into a bucket and crush them up with a board. (like you would a mortar and pestal) Most of the glass will fall to the bottom as fine glass powder. Then soak and melt the glue as usual.
In my mind the question of how exactly to add the correct amount of water to the recycled glue became the question, since this used glue still contained glass chips on the glue that would throw the glue weight off. Measuring this used glue would be a problem due to the added weight of the glass.
My solution was to take a 3" PVC pipe cap, like the ones in the pipe section at HomeDepot, and drill a 3/16" hole in the dished bottom of it. Basically making a crude Viscometer. Viscometers are used to calculate the viscosity, or thickness of a liquid by measuring the time it takes to drain out of the bottom.
I mixed a small batch of NEW glue, 2 parts water to 1 part glue by weight as usual. After soaking and heating to 145 deg. F. I took a stopwatch and
measured the time (seconds) it took to drain out.
Knowing now how long it takes for a 2-1 mixture of glue to drain out of the pipe cap, I can monitor or add the proper amount or water to my glue pot at any stage. Whether it be fresh glue loosing water from steam evaporation, or adding water to recycled glue containing old glass chips.
I should mention that any glass that remains on the crushed used glue will finally wind up settling to the bottom of the glue pot. They can be removed by pouring off the liquid glue, and adding hot water to flush away the fine glass silt sunken on the bottom.
Pat
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Pat,
I found this site that tells you how to much your own hydrometer.check it out.I will let you know how it works.
Roderick
http://www.ecawa.asn.au/home/jfuller/li ... meters.htm
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Roderick,
I don't see how a hydrometer will work in this instance. They are used to determine the specific weight of salts or acids in water, and even then if the fluid being tested was too viscous it would fowl the displacement of the hydrometer. I believe a simple viscometer as I mentioned earlier would be best.
Pat
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Pat,

In reference to your post of March 9th, you stated that you filled the pvc cap with glue and timed how long it took to drain. I can't find anywhere that you stated how long that time was...can you divulge how long a proper batch of glue should take to drain out of the cap??

A side note, I lived over in El Monte for many years. My dad was Chief of Police there for over 20 years. Lots of good memories from your area. One comes to mind...my '58 Chevy Impala got rear ended while parked over near Lemon and Lime Streets...drove it into a tree and totaled it. Drunk driver, no insurance. I moved on to a '63 VW.

Best Wishes...Dennis
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho