Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

C.J. Strong Photograph Request

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ron Berlier

C.J. Strong Photograph Request

Post by Ron Berlier »

:?: :?: :?:

Does anyone have a nice photo of the distinguished C.J. Strong that they would be willing to share with me?

TXN
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

...and me too!! AMAL is always looking for things like this as well!!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

There's a photo of CJ in the front of Art of Showcard Writing. The smaller version has a larger photo.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hi Mike,

Since I have neither book and will need to go shopping can you give me some details so I determine which book is which? Size, year published, number pages etc.?

Thanks -
Ron Berlier
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Ron,
I am still buried and under the gun with the Silver Dollar City project. I should be finished by the middle of the week and will try to scan it for you then unless someone else can do it for you in the meantime. What sort of resolution or output size do you need? Remember, a scan from a book will have a certain amount of dot pattern, some of which can be reduced with Photoshop blur filters.

Also, I would have to go digging around through the books, but one of them has a photo of CJ in one panel and Lawrence in the other. Seems like it might be from their Detroit School of Lettering books.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Mike -

Thank you very much for your offer to help out. Don't worry about the time line, when you have time is just fine. If someone gets a copy to me before Wednesday I will certainly let you know so you don't have to go digging through your vast library.

If possible, something around 5x7 or 4x6 (larger is okay too) and 100 to 150 DPI should be okay. I want to use it with a glass piece. If you have more that one pic of C.J. that would also be nice.

So, at your convenience will work for me.

Hope you project gets done with time to spare. Have a good week.
Ron Berlier
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

Ron,
I also have a pic pf C.J. Strong from a Daily's Show Card Writing Course. Large ad in the back of course book for Strong's Brushes and Supplies. Also with a Detroit School of Lettering tag.

Also sent you an email re: where to send file.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Before I headed downstairs last night, I looked through a few books. I didn't see the photo I thought I remembered seeing with both photos. Maybe it was a senior moment, or maybe wishful thinking. I know one or two of them mention CJ's brother in the title page.

Sound like William has you fixed up.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Thanks for taking the time to look for me. However, you are way too young to be having senior moments. :lol:

I too have the vision of a photo, but I think my vision is from the post card that Super Frog used to send out quite a while back.

Yes, thanks to Bill, I did get a nice picture of C.J. his-self.

Thanks to you both,
Ron Berlier
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I also would love to see this photo. Am hoping it could also be posted on the site sozz I could keep a copy for my ever expanding letterheads related things. It is amazing how much of ( sign collectibles) this is available in the states relative to Canukland ....though with ebay the world of collecting has gotten smaller.
William Holohan

OK Gents. The one I have was approx 2 inches x 3 inches at 400 dpi. I will rescan and enlarge to 5x7 at 300 dpi. Anyone that would like a copy, post your email or send your email to firemap1@aol.com
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

on 5/4/03 Mike Jackson posted here a copy of a Strong letter (about his school) that has a mast head with a photo of him in it. ...C.J. looks alot like Mike Meyers with his mustache.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Here's the scan....I know is it too large for my guidelines, but any smaller and you couldn't read the text.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Thanks Mike.

Say, you folks think Myers and Strong are related? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron Berlier
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/c ... hotos.html

Hello all,
William "Irish" Holohan sent a group of files to me in TIF format. I created this little page so you can download them onto your computer as needed.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
William Holohan

Mike,
Thank you. I know it was probably a major inconvenience for you. I just have a h**l of time trying to upload pics.
The large "raw scan" was put in there for those who probably have better
photoshop skills than I do, and want to play with the original scan.

Thanks again.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Bill,
I just finished 230 hours of design work for Silver Dollar City and am just getting around to a bunch of loose ends like this project. I just e-mailed off my next article for SignCraft and have a few more assignments to tackle before we take off for a few says of Spring Break.

Thanks for taking the time to scan the images for the group of people interested in downloading them. I never did see the photo I thought I remembered with L.S Strong. I don't know if that was his son or his brother, but the name shows up on several occasions.

Off to the next project...
Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons