Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Rendering gold leaf for a drawing

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Rendering gold leaf for a drawing

Post by Roderick Treece »

What is the best way of rendering gold leaf lettering for a rendering to show a client useing illustrator or photo shop.
Thanks
Roderick
ggodby

Post by ggodby »

Roderick,
I'd first recommend going to "Adobe Studio Exchange" where you can download free gradients, styles, actions, etc..
Here's a starting point for you: http://share.studio.adobe.com/axBrowseSubmit.asp?t=13

Hope this helps.

Gary
Roderick Treece

Gary,
Thanks for the link.I went there and kind of got overwhelmed.I'm not sure what to do with those things,I would need sombody to show me how to use them in a practical aplication from begining to end.Thats just the way my brain works or should I say doesn't work and it has to be slower than the Dave Butler methed.Sorry Dave you know I love you but your to fast for me.I would think that sombody might have written an artical for some magazine on this topic.

Roderick
ggodby

Post by ggodby »

Roderick,

Here's the basics for loading photoshop gradients:

1. Choose Edit > Preset Manager. 2. In the Preset Manager dialog, select "Gradients" from the Preset Type drop-down menu. 3. Click Load "File Name"; 4. In the Load dialog, find the new Gradient library and click Load.

I found a good example for you to start with. Once at Adobe Exchange, go to Photoshop > Gradients & search for "'Pure Gold & Silver Grd'" (it's rated 5 stars). If you want something with dimension, bevel, outlines, special effects, go to the "Photoshop Styles" section.

Gary
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...or you can just use YELLOW and explain to the client that is will be (real) GOLD on their sign.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Roderick,
I more or less agree with Billy. For an approval drawing on a possible project, I question whether it is worth all the time trying to add the effects. If you are trying to do a rendering for your own satisfaction or your own display wall, that would be a different story.

It is not too hard to fill a shape with a gradient fill from pale gold to medium gold in Photoshop, if you want to take that step. The links Gary is giving you are for Style and Actions. They are both really cool, but it takes some reading and testing and time in Photoshop to learn how to do it.
I'm not sure what to do with those things,I would need sombody to show me how to use them in a practical aplication from begining to end.
As always, I suggest anyone using Photoshop to log on to http://www.lynda.com and use their service for at least a month. They show how to use actions and styles in several of the Photoshop video clips. Your request above is delivered if really want to learn how to use the programs.

Mike Jackson
Last edited by Mike Jackson on Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

You could get an alps MD-5000 printer and use the gold or silver foils for printing out your gold lettering and/or ornamentation on your drawings.

The foils are shiney like real gold and silver leaf, and look very impressive on the drawing.

You can get the alps MD-5000 printer on ebay.
Roderick Treece

Thanks every body,
I downloaded a program from alien skin and it was pretty simple to do a nice metal gold rendering, but in the end I just show the client my gold leaf glass sample box and they were hooked.I forgot to show them the rendering after all.
I love Lynda .com by the way,it's worth the money.

Roderick