Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New Look for the Forum

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

New Look for the Forum

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi All,
The forum needed an update, requiring me to upload an new version. While doing that, I went ahead and picked a new template. I believe it will allow us to include a larger photo than 400 pixels. I liked the added white space of the old layout, but this will probably be more functional. This layout "crowds the borders" as we might say.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi all,
If you have been seeing Critical Errors today when trying to log on, it was because of the update. I hope it is fixed now and I can get back to work. Other than the new layout, everything should work exactly the same.

This post is to also test whether an image wider than 400 pixels will disrupt the layout. This young buffalo photo is 600 pixels wide.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Jackson on Wed May 24, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Mike-
Thanks for your continued interest and time you put in on this Forum.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

......and I second that. It takes alot of time and commitment to see this project of ours through and has been well done....heck where else can you go and ask a difficult question and know youll get a good sound answer in a day or two. Also...I just noticed you cant use an apostrophy or the back scroll button.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

apostrophy

Post by Danny Baronian »

Doug,

You can't use an apostrophy until you clean your keyboard, or get a new one.

Then you shouldn't have any problems.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Jon Harl

Post by Jon Harl »

I like to add my thanks. This is a great vehicle for signs and the trade.
Jon Harl
San Jose, CA
Sign Painting Since 1984
vance galliher

new format....

Post by vance galliher »

I like that I can now print info again in "portrait" layout and get all the words on. However, the green is a bit glarning and overpowering for my eyesight.......but I can live with that... Thanks for the effort Mike.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Vance,
That lime green is hot nowdays, I guess. I looked over a bunch of template designs to replace the old layout and this one was the cleanest and simple of all the ones I found. I almost need to use some sort of green to compliment the rest of the site. Many of the other templates had dark background and sometimes unreadable text colors. I am sure you have seen some of them on other sites. Also, on the plus side, this layout only has one part that needed changing out...the banner at teh top of the page. So, for now, I will leave it alone and get back to trying to make a living!

For anyone interested, I spent about five hours trying to get this thing back up and running. The people as Canaca are basically the server with this phpBB piggybacking through them. When the BB doesn't work, they like to pass the buck and give me a bunch of programming mumbo jumbo instead of helping me just get it going. I am sure I had 30 emails to them. My main concern was to not lose all the old posts stored through the previous version of the Forum. I don't know if the new software is going to stop it, but one of the major reasons to upgrade was to stop or slow down all the "bot" new members. They apparently figured out how to make a script that would automatically register with the phpBBs, leaving a lot of unwanted links and posts. Danny Baronian and I have been deleting half a dozen per day for the past month.

The test photo with the baby buffalo worked fine at 600 pixels wide.

Thanks for all the kind words to all that made them!

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I Like the new look Mike. What a difference at 600 pixels. Great work!
Dave
Raymond Chapman

Thanks Mike

Post by Raymond Chapman »

As others have done, I too want to publically add my appreciation to Mike for all the time and effort he invests into this forum. Mike never does anything second rate.

Coming to this site is a part of my regular morning routine. It connects me with all those kindred spirits out there who find satisfaction in the frustration of doing sign work.

Thanks to Mike and all who contribute to make this site successful.