Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Tinted colors on Gold

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Arnott

Tinted colors on Gold

Post by John Arnott »

I have a "Crab Catcher" resturant that needs some sandblasted HDU - gold signs redone. The gold has tinted multi-colors over the gold. I'm guessing that it is tinted with clear and transparent glazes or transparent enamels in clear. I saw some "powders" that are different colors. They are "Dusted" on top of tacky clear.
Does anybody have any ideas how to best tint this redo sign. thanks. . . . . .John Arnott :?:
Since 1978
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

I wouldn't think powders will give you the transparency you are looking for......I use the transparent colors that Rick used to sell and I think Letterhead Sign Supply has them.....
Life is much too important to be taken seriously
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

John,
This is probably not the right answer, but I'll throw it out. We did a large carved eagle for Gerry Spence a long time ago. It was gilded with 23k patent. When it went up, it was quite brilliant, especially on the sunny side. They wanted it toned down, so I wiped across it with a wash of burn umber, then wiped off all the umber on the high areas, leaving some in the deeper crevaces. It slightly tinted the gold and certainly dulled it. It has been up about 15 to 17 years now.

You might try using artist oil colors on some test pieces. If the sign is for indoors, you can clear it with no problems, but we had some peeling on one we did with clear over gold. That works okay for fire trucks, but they are kept inside and clean most of their lives.

Others will probably have better suggestions.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I also go with the artist oil colours and use these for the same reason...although the clear you use will be the most important part. The transparent screen inks Rick used to repackage were terrific and still have some left over. The deep gold was a favourite of mine.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

This might not be suitable for your purposes, but it made me curious. What happens if you use a light dusting of mica powders over gold? Might make for some interesting effects.

You can get mica in brighter colours from craft stores in the scrapbooking or soap making sections.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Hi John,
To achieve the effect you're after, I don't really think mica powders would do the job. The mica powders that Kelly refers to are kind of cool and don't fade. I've used them some on glass and I know they are used in a number of ways for faux finishing and stuff like that. Sepp Leaf could probably help you out or Letterhead Sign Supply. They have a transparency to them so that, although reflective at certain angles, you can also see the underlying color. Personally, I've used them only on glass and that requires some experimentation.
As far as tinting the gold, that is something I've only done on glass as well, but I found the transparent inks that Rick sold to be very nice for this. I watched Dave McDonald airbrush a blend of several of the colors over some dimensional letters he had gilded with aluminum on a sign that he brought to the Conclave one year. It gave it a brilliant iridescence. I know that he also used the effect on some other stuff - I think there was a fish he gilded and added some color that way. I don't know about longevity but I think Doug's point about the importance of using a good quality clear is critical.
Looks like it's going to be another hot one here in Colorado. My wife and I are going to head up to the cool of the mountains today to celebrate 34 years of marriage. Yes, this is off-topic but she's the best thing that ever happened to me!
Kent Smith

transparencies

Post by Kent Smith »

John, I would also consider the clear to be used. To get good suspension for clear transparency, gold size works well as does spar. You might also consider Mixol tints which are pure pigment, not already suspended in oil and are somewhat finer grind than most oil colors.
John Arnott

Post by John Arnott »

Thanks everyone- After close inspection, it does appear to be simply oil colors in clear. Very small areas, but big effects. John Arnott
Since 1978