Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Dave Smith's Silver Stain up-date

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

Dave Smith's Silver Stain up-date

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi all...had a conversation with our buddy Mr.Smitty and I hate to inform you all, but he is having ISP problems and looks like he will be off line for a couple of weeks. He also asked me to post these photo's of his experiment in this for him. and I copied in a part of his letter.....

The pictures attached are of silverstaining with the letter S blended staining which works great also , there are so many possibilities here as you know, very exciting! I mixed amber with the yellow in equal parts with white vinegar but water also works well. The acid etching would be the next thing to do ,white etch, then the 3 tones after.

I'll just add for everyone that this is the same process used by the old masters in the photo with "Bottles and Jugs" brilliant cut into the glass, from the earlier post on "Victorian Silverstaining"

(links edited by MJ)
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hey there Sir Big "D",

Thanks for helping "Smitty" out and posting on his behalf. Hope he gets his ISP issues resolved soon as it is always a pleasure, and a treat to hear from him and see what he has been doing.

Ron
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hey there Sir Big "D",

Thanks for helping "Smitty" out and posting on his behalf. Hope he gets his ISP issues resolved soon as it is always a pleasure, and a treat to hear from him and see what he has been doing.

Ron
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Doug,
Thanks for helping Dave. Another award winning eye desert from Dave's Kitchen! I can see him now, slaving over a hot kiln wearing insulated mits, like the Julia Child of glass decorating, or Wolf-glass Puch!
He's on a role!! Now its silver stain, next ingredient, glass enamels- yummm

Pat