Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Chipping insulated glass units

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dan Seese

Chipping insulated glass units

Post by Dan Seese »

I have a client who has 3 small transoms (13" x 23") that they want to have some glue-chipping done on.
They are insulated units that have already been built and I would just need to do the sandblasting and chipping before they are installed. The glass is double-strength, non-tempered.
I've chipped and etched glass and then had it put into an insulated unit but have never done it afterwards. I don't anticipate any problem with chipping an insulated unit but wanted to check in case anyone knows of a potential problem.
Thanks
vance galliher

chipping

Post by vance galliher »

Hi Dan, I would proceed with your approach.....don't see any potential problems ......but as always, just see it thru beforehand.....I enjoyed our visits.......
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Naahhh... you won't have any problem with that. Should be the same as chipping a regular piece of glass. If it wasn't already insuated I would, of course, have suggested the chipped surface be put to the inside of the unit.

-Larry