Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Goodbye my friend....John Jordan passes

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Goodbye my friend....John Jordan passes

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I received a phone call from Paul Jordan today. It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you of the passing of a dear friend John Jordan last night. May he be gilding the gates of heaven as we speak.
Kelly
Last edited by Kelly Thorson on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

I am very sad to hear the news of John Jordan's death, he was a great guy with a lot of warmth & knowledge that he loved to share....glad to have known him & to have shared a few pints, we last saw him in Scotland. This man cannot be replaced, our respects to his family.
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Sad news indeed. Sad for all who knew him. Glad that I had the opportunity to meet him and see in how high a regard he was spoken of by his fellow sign people. His reputation truely proceeded him, and I was not disappointed. No greater affect can a man leave in his travelings on this earth. A wealth of knowledge and skill that I watched him share at the "Tickle" in Scotland. Treasure the best, while we have them.
Pat
Last edited by Patrick Mackle on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

So sad. I met John for the first time last year in Scotland- He had a profound effect on me and my work, and I was proud to of known him, if only for a short while.
Its true that a library burns everytime a genius like John passes... What a joy it is that he shared all that knowledge.

Sincere condolences to Family and all who knew and loved him.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Sad news indeed, my condolences to his family.
John will be truly missed, and I'm sorry our paths kept missing this last year.
An honor to know you, John.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Kent Smith

missing John

Post by Kent Smith »

John was a teacher, humanist, philosopher, mentor, friend and international treasure. We will miss him sefishly but we will keep great memories in our hearts. So glad he was at the museum this summer.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I also had alot of good times with John, He always was a bundle of laughs and always taking the mick!. We shared a room in 2004 for the Conclave at Valencia Signs .I could'nt get to sleep because of his loud snoring. Every morning for a week he was the first up and was making tea for Haydn and myself . I will miss him at the meets.
Rest in Peace John..........

Dave
Kelly Thorson

Request for pictures

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Reminiscing is happening all around the world. Emails are flying, phones are ringing, friends are sharing stories, tears and laughter. What a character! I doubt there was ever a Letterhead that attended as many meets or met as many people. John was looking so forward to coming to Moose Jaw and I was so excited at the opportunity to have a couple of weeks of private tutoring from the best. He will be there in the hearts and thoughts of so many.
If any one has pictures or stories they are willing to share we will be putting together a tribute to him in lieu of the Glass Class he was to lead. Part of that will be a digital presentation so any pictures of either John or his work would be greatly appreciated. You can email them to me at ktg@sasktel.net. Please send them in the highest resolution you can. Although it is early, I suspect many of you will have those pictures and thoughts on hand right now.
If anyone wants a copy of it for their meet or private use I will be happy to share. We'll do it up right.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

I already sent this to Kelly.
I like the effect of the light looking like a rainbow, with that treasure of a man at the end of it.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

What a great guy.I feel fortunate to have had the pleasure of his company for three days.
I was able to meet John at the conclave.Being in the same room when all the excitment started over this guy useing a little BRUSH to take off his gold.Within minutes there was this big group of people that where just blown away by his tecnique.Funny how it's those little moments we carry with us forever of those special people we meet.
If anyone would like to send me some photos and a story about John I would be happy to post it Ghost town signs.

http://www.ghosttownsigns.com/ghosttown ... tTown.html

E-mail me @ roderick@customglasssigns.com

Roderick
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

What a great guy.I feel fortunate to have had the pleasure of his company for three days.
I was able to meet John at the conclave.Being in the same room when all the excitment started over this guy useing a little BRUSH to take off his gold.Within minutes there was this big group of people that where just blown away by his tecnique.Funny how it's those little moments we carry with us forever of those special people we meet.
If anyone would like to send me some photos and a story about John I would be happy to post it Ghost town signs.

http://www.ghosttownsigns.com/ghosttown ... tTown.html

E-mail me @ roderick@customglasssigns.com

Roderick