Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Pilsen Brewery Glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Pilsen Brewery Glass

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Just finished this little sign. I made it from a piece which was for sale on ebay. I liked the look of the design and decided to make it for my collection.
I used a tooth brush to create the fade from chemical silver to gold leaf. I silvered the the whole piece then rubbed away the bottom half with silver remover, then went in with a tooth brush or if you managed to buy a glass scratcher from Rick's that worked great also. I bought one from Letterhead Sign Supplies too ,so they are still around.
But a new stiff tooth brush will work great! Finally after hand writing the backup enamel I coated it in arterial red then shellaced it and finger blended the background to give it a cloudy look. Over done it with the nipped edges, was only trying for one pass but ruined one of the cuts so decided to go for a full poor man's bevel and ended up nipping every gap I could see.
Dave

[img][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/ ... Pilsen.jpg[/img][/img]
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Wow, nice job Dave. As usual.

I've wondered about a chemical blend of silver / gold, but never tried. Looks great.

The tool you used to remove the silver is also available from art supply or a well supplied stationary store if you need one quickly, as they were used to correct typing mistakes or marks on canvas. I have one from long ago that was 1/2" wide.

In doing the blend, is is confined to the area of the letters only? The top has some color to it, but possibly from the reflection of the ceiling.

Thanks!

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Dave, thats absolutley stunning mate !
Kelly Thorson

Behind the scenes?

Post by Kelly Thorson »

That's lovely Dave, as is the staining in your other post.
I'd really like to see more of the piece in the background, can you post it or email me a pic?
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

pilsner

Post by DAVE SMITH »

The blend is around the lettered area only Danny , there is some blending in corners but it's very dark shades of black's and red's .
The sign behind the Pilsner piece is for the side of my van Kelly , I have two of them ,they both will be fitted in soon . After two years of sitting on my lightbox.
I hope I don't make this too big for the site , Mike is 800 pixels wide ok? The photo is not great Kelly I quickly put it together with photomerge but it shows what it's about.

Dave

[img][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/ ... oflat2.jpg[/img][/img]
Bob Ficucell

Post by Bob Ficucell »

Dave,
Beautiful work as always!
A question though, do you have customers that buy this work, or do you mainly do it for yourself?
Thanks for sharing your talent... Bob Ficucell
DAVE SMITH

customers buying my work

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hey thanks Bob. Yes I have alot of customers wanting this work . The more elaborate pieces do come along occasionally ,but it is down to the individual to promote what they do ,hence the vehicle glass in the last post, I personally built up a reputation for this work in my area ,but only recently I have been receiving more work in London, also this is a passion and love of our craft for me same with all of us. I find it a challenge trying to emulate what the victorians were doing. I still get the mundane work like sandblasting etc but it pays the bills while I play with the more complicated glass but it is important to get the full amount of money for what your doing either way . I have been restoring a few piece's recently that is good money but it's hard graft and not as rewarding like making your own piece from scratch. This is one that at to be perfect for a collector, there was no room for mistakes . You can hide mistakes in chiped work but when it has to be just silvered backgrounds with blended and gided text like this restored piece it's hard going and time consuming and if blemishes are made on the piece they pop right out at you. Excuse my photography skill at the moment!. Also attached a peice that I will be starting in January for a restaurant in my town 6ftx3ft glass. This is a very early sketch design just to show the customer some ideas then I move onto the next stage once they agree prices and deposits.
Dave

[img][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/ ... esflat.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/ ... dsflat.jpg[/img][/img]
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

whoooooooow, Dave-....Thats just one of those designs that makes ya dribble!
DAVE SMITH

design

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Wayne! It needs refining but will be ok for the first step of the design process, The date at the end was rushed in and same for the word restaurant some of the scrolls in the corners need sorting also , all I was trying to do was seeing if this is the way the customer likes the look of the sign , not that the customer could tell the difference but it's good to put it past them. How does everyone else here start out with there designs? I get paid for my designs, I always ask for the design fee up front before any work is done. this includes changes also -plus it guarantee's you the job because they have already spent money. They came to me for this..... Works everytime.

Dave
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

Just fabulous work! Are you still planning to present a glass workshop in Virginia in the Spring? :D
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Raymond Chapman

Simply Amazing

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Your work just continues to blow me away. You are always learning new techniques and tricks. And the execution of the whole thing is just mind boggling. You continue to set the bar higher and higher. From down here, all I can say is "Wow!".
DAVE SMITH

work

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Raymond . Thanks for that , your words are very much appreciated! Like yourself I find it all so interesting .There is so much to learn with this trade, it goes off in all directions .I bought a kiln about 6 months ago ,skies the limit now in what you can do with this thing. Fun times!. By the way I enjoy reading your Photoshop artcles mate very cool! . Kelly I still will be coming over to do the workshops ,I just need to get together with Gary G, Larry W , John S, and good old Noel W, to settle on dates and arrangements, sorry this has taken a while I 'm trying to do to much at the moment . I will anounce some costs and dates soon.

Thanks to you both.
Dave
Kelly Thorson

step by step perhaps?

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Ahh, you are getting your fan club mixed up Dave. ;)
That Edward's piece is going to be stunning. Maybe you can lead us through it like Larry did with the Hamilton Glass. I know it is an incredible amount of work to photograph and post all those steps, but it sure is a wonderful gift to the rest of us. How will you do the pictoral? Will it be on the actual glass?
Get those windows in your van, they deserve to be seen. :)
And yes let me know the details of your workshops, I need to save my pennies.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I'm getting old! Sorry Catherine..... A step by step would be a good idea Kelly I would very much like to do that. See how things turn out with the final drawings and agreements on this job. I will keep you posted......... The pictorial will be white acid etched then toned down in places finally silvered and gilded then cross hatched and backed with black. Clouds will be finger blended. Rick showed me the finger blending technique ,works real good for achieving realism to the clouds

Dave