Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Antique Piece

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Antique Piece

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I was on holiday in Cornwall with my family a few months ago, we stopped at what we call over here a car boot sale I think you guy's call it a garage sale, any how I stumbled on this little beauty, a small reverse glass piece sitting in the corner of someone's car I paid only £10.00 for it ,I just liked the look of the font and brass around the edges. Would any one have a guess on what it was used for - poss a Doctors surgery somewhere in Scotland? The back is welded using lead, there is two bolts pretruding from the back just curious to find out what it was used for.

Dave

Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

10 pounds - 20 bucks US?! What a buy. Need to spend more time at the 'boot' sales!

Acid etched glass, angel gilded with a copper frame.. Rawson and Evans? Jeff had some pictures of copper frames that Spangers sold with corner caps that look the same as pictured. Same type Rick made for his Sign Relics sign.

What's your guess - R&E, local craftsman? Client - doctors office, attorney? Any writing or info on the back?
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Pretty little thing isn't it. How big is it?

I love things that have a mystery attached. I once went seeking information on a couple of paintings from a garage sale. Turns out they were by a native artist who is listed as missing. That part was interesting, but more interesting still was the convoluted path that led me to find out my great grandfather fled Cleveland after committing a double murder.
Maybe you should check the geneology records in Scotland - who knows what you may find. ;)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

You are thinking Rawson and Evans hey Danny?, That would be cool! It is acid etched and water gilded
It is completely sealed on the back there is no names on the piece. The size Kelly is 10''x5'' the glass looks tkick.The colour red is very deep like when you apply arterial red on the glass then blend with your colours once it's dry, same look........ Good idea for checking the records.
Dave
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Dave,
Nice sign- great find! Glad it found a nice home with you.
I'm thinking that it was solder sealed with lead because it was attached somewhere outdoors where it might be subjected a bit o' rain on occasion,
possibly positioned under a porch or overhang. Have a look on the front, would be interesting to see if they sealed the front surface to the frame with some sealant concoction to keep water from creeping in from the front as well.
Pat
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

10 quid...?......You jammy Git !

Loverly piece thou mate..Look at that 'C-' Stunning ( gotta use that somewhere)-

It would be interesting to see whats inside the frame eh?
Dennis Davis

McCandlish

Post by Dennis Davis »

Dave,

I did a quick search in Ancestry.com for James McCandlish and found quite a few with that last name. Among the first 15 named, they were listed as employed as a Currier, Electric Engineer, Publican, Hatter, and Assistant Surgeon. If you can find any further information on this individual I would be happy to search further. It would be interesting to know of the history of the individual in question.

Dennis
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Dennis

It would be good to find out some facts about who this person was. I have nothing else with the piece about him, it was just a quick find .

Thanks mate
Dave