Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

International Gold Leaf Workshop

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

International Gold Leaf Workshop

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Everyone , I have now had time to think about organising three Goldleaf workshops in different locations in the U.S.
I've held back on a formal annoucement due to a number of things happening here , but now I am getting together information on costs of materials and a plan how we can do this etc. The main thing is to get 23 students at each venue, if we can't raise this many people it probably won't happen. your help in spreading the word about this would be most appreciated.
I have had alot of workshops here in England but with only 5 -8 in a class ,they all went very smoothly but when it comes to 23 people per workshop it will take a bit more work as you know.
Larry has sent me back prices for his costs, he has a great set up for this kind of work ,and so as Gary Godby sent all prices back. Noel is putting his together now and Danny Baronian is pricing all the stands which he will make and send out to the 3 locations. Once I have this artwork finished John Studden will be sorting the screens out and our flights between the venues, should be a great few weeks sharing each others skills and friendship. We will be teaching this as a team effort,.John Studden and myself will be teaching at Larry's, then in Boise we will be at the famous Classic Sign Studio with Noel Weber also teaching with us ,this place aloan is worth the visit for those wanting to expand there gilding knowledge and to see Classics impact on Down town Boise, then John and myself will fly over to Gary's work place in Virginia . I think Noel has a buisy schedual coming up to the end of April so we may not see him in Virginia. If people are interested in all this They can email me at chapman_and_smith@btinternet.com this way I can put the first 23 emails in a line on who will be attending each meet. There are a number of people that sent me emails before christmas that said they would be coming ,but due to my computer crashing these emails were lost, so if they could make them selves known again that would be helpful, I am sorry about that, this time it will be printed and also stored on 2 new external hard drives, no more crashes here! Prices for the workshop will be ready in about one week . The starting Dates in April will be confirmed next week.

One more thing- you will need to have attended a gilding class before and have some experience on how to lay loose leaf, This class is an advanced gilding workshop which will be focusing on other treatments along with blended gilding ,acid etching ,mother-of-pearl and various paint techniques.

The workshop will be a 3 day event starting early 9.00 and finishing about 7.00 just in-time for a nice big burger. Sorry I can't tell you anymore at this stage,but I will confirm things next week.
All the best............

Thanks for now
Dave UK
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Thats better Smitty. I think this would have gotten lost down under all the chipping info. Keep me on your mailing list as I'd love to get over to see all the action.
Last edited by Doug Bernhardt on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly Thorson

Dates

Post by Kelly Thorson »

When you have the exact dates nailed down can you post them here Dave?
Thanks.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Dates

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Kelly .Yes I will post everything here about the workshops. Once I have all the costs in which should be by the weekend I will make a post on all the information for the workshops.
I'm organising all this through Skype and email, because of the time difference I tend to miss people.
It will all come together soon.
Dave
Harry Malicoat

Post by Harry Malicoat »

Dave ...... put me on the list for Larry's. Unless the chosen dates become impossible, I'd very much like to take part.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Got your email Harry and your on the list.

Thanks
Dave