Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

More Tom Moore...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

More Tom Moore...

Post by Larry White »

My thanks to Jeff Lang for sharing the vector based art and the pictorial on this little gem! I aquired this old frame which also had the old glass in it which I used for this piece. It really looks quite charming on the old rippley glass. I knocked this one out fairly quickly. The steps were;
1) Asphaltum glass, apply stencil, sandblast, remove stencil, flow in glue, allow to chip, clean off asphaltum.
2) Clean panel and Angel Gild.
3) Hand paint bright lines, remove excess gold.
4) Hand paint drop shades on text.
5) Paint background of 10 cent panels.
6) Paint blended red background.
7) Reframe installing pictorial.

I also touched up some spots on the frame and regilded the knobs. The angel gilding was completed in 2 hours, leafing would've taken days.

This piece looks like a restoration right out of the Fine Gold Sign Co. THANKS, RICK, FOR TEACHING ME THIS WONDERFUL ART!!!

Here's another shot of the same piece...
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Sir Larry -

Very nice piece, indeed it does look like it just came out of Rick's professional restoration process.

Greatly appreciate you're sharing more of your fine work.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Nice piece Larry! Looks very old ,nice frame to compliment it also.
Are you on Skype yet?
Dave