Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Whitetail Deer relief carving...step by step (Finished)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

Whitetail Deer relief carving...step by step (Finished)

Post by joe cieslowski »

I've put together a short step by step on the carving of this whitetail deer piece. It's made from white pine, 5/4x19"x24".

After the panel is glued up (Titebond III), the shape is cut and every face sanded (80 then 120 grit). The outside frame is marked by using a carpenters compas as a marking gage,the pattern applied and then the outside frame is stained black. The lower panel is then stained dark green.

Both stains are made with 1Shot thinned at least 30% with low temp reducer. It's rubbed onto the wood using a small rag folded into a pad.

When it's dry, I cut a 5/8" cove around the outside edges and sand it.

Using a 1/8" straight fluted, up-cut bit, I outline the major elements of the design. These cuts will vary from 1/8" to 5/8" deep.

The ground is carved setting the primary depths of the carving. I use a 20mm, #7 straight gouge for this.

I'll be writing this in segments about this size every day or so. This will serve two purposes: I'll have time to get them together and if there are questions, they should be timely. I have another of this design to do now, so if you would like more detailed pics, I can do that too. Fire away! :)

Joe
Last edited by joe cieslowski on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Dan Seese

A work of art

Post by Dan Seese »

Joe,
Let me be the first to congratulate you on an absolutely beautiful piece.
I love the use of color, the action, the texture, all the elements that draw you in and make this not just a "sign" but a unique piece of art.
I'll be watching your posts as to how you did this.
Though I've loved the dimension that carving brings to a sign, I've never taken any workshops on it, don't have good tools, and have always approached it by the seat of my pants, so I'm looking forward to learning from a pro.
Thanks for posting this.
Dan
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Ditto for me, too.
I am anxiously awaiting more installments of this step-by-step, and especially the finishing. The small panel you sent out has been on a south facing wall for over a year and a half and still looks great. You are apparently doing something better than we did, as we had poor results clear finishes on outdoor signs.

Keep up the great work,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks Dan and Mike for the words of encouragement.......you're really putting the pressure on :wink:

This shows the roughout completed. This is probably the most important step in any relief piece. If these aren't right, no amount of detailing will fix it.
Key to seeing this is using a strong side light on your work. Mine is about 12" above my bench and on the top of the job.

This shows the hind quarter shaped out. This is as good a place as any to mention enviormental considerations. I am always keenly aware of collection points on an exterior carving. Water should always be able to drain off the carving (I think the reasons are obvious). Therefore, no undercutting should be done on upper areas of any design elements. In this particular case, the tail is undercut but the rump isn't. Water will drain down behind the tail and then off the rump.

Here the front quarter is shaped out along with some of the stone wall. The undercutting is more pronounced here. I'm often complimented on
my "rocks" :wink: . They are actually done quite randomly. Like laying bricks, I carve the bottom layer first and the next layer always overlaps the spaces between the stones of the first.....etc. I first carve a "V" cut to outline them then come back and carve a deeper "V" cut inside the first. This creates a very strong shadow. (Actually, that is what I carve....shadows. All the highlights come with the board.... :D ) This work is done mostly with a #3 12mm straight gouge, a #7 8mm fishtail gouge and a small detail knife. You will also notice here that the background is taking shape (the antlers are the most delacate of the elements so they are carved last).

Here the head is carved....notice that the top of the head goes straight back to the ground, whereas the nose, chin and throat are deeply undercut. A note here about the treatment of the ground as it approaches the border. Most traditional relief work has a verticle cut directly to the ground. I personally don't like it because it gives the viewer a measure of the depth of the carving. IMHO, this negates the "illusion" of unlimited depth. In 50 years, I've never used this method. I prefer a gradual curve from the border to the ground. In this case, it also supports the trwo layers of antlers.....sometimes you just get lucky! :)

Here, the outline of the antlers have been cleaned up. The detail knife is used here along with a few, very small, home made spoon gouges to get at the ground.

Here the antlers and most elements are complete. A note here about the shape of the whole image. Originally, the design was to be enclosed in an oval. I felt that there wasn't enough emphasis on the stone wall (after all, it's "Stone Hollow"). Therefore, I extended the lower portion to the frame. (Ya gotta love collectors who give you free reign :D )

Ta Da! :wink:

A word here about my "style". I almost never sand my carvings. Sanding leaves only one texture and by its nature, it scratches the wood AND you can't pay me enough to sand. So,(in keepig with traditon) I dont! Also, because I stain my pieces, I can control the stain with the burnish left form the heel of the gouges. So, in general, I strive to create a realistic image and to let the the cuts speak. In a way, the cuts are my pallet and brush.

Next insall.....staining, lettercarving and gilding.
Last edited by joe cieslowski on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Sooooo....where the pictures? Did I miss something, or are ya jest gonna make me beg?
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Sorry Doug......they are on my screen?

Remember, I'm no geek....

Let me try something, check back in about a half hour.

Joe
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

In the mid 70's when I started carving for dollars I wanted to introduce color into the work but to use stains, not paint. At the time I was using the usual, browntone, minwax stains which gave the work a sepia tone look. (I still do) I remembered in college we were taught that stains didn't have to be brown. Stain, like paint is basically a pigment, vehicle and a drier. Using Minwax"natural" stain (which is clear) I mixed in artists oil colors. This worked great. Although this stain is oil based, the painting technique is similar to painting with water colors......dark to light. This pic shows how I set up to stain. The flower looking dish is ceramic and is available from Dick Blick......the plastic ones don't work. My "pallete" is a cardboard divider used between the 2 layers of beer in a 30 pac. I have quite a few ;) . Get CHEAP brushes! They take a beating, being jabbed into all sorts of tight spots.

I stained the deer first and then everything is stained to it. I do it this way because once you have applied a coat of stain, stain of another color that may get on it can be easily wiped off.

Here it is finished...

Now I apply 4 brushed (2" foam brush and a short artists flat for the edge and carving) coats of Minwax Spar Urethane sanding with 220 paper and a green scotchbright on the carving. Minwax changed their formula over a year ago, doubleing the UV blockers (yea) and brought the dry time down to 4 hours from 6(hmmm). I wait the 4 hrs between the first three coats (applied on 1 day) and wait overnight before the 4th. Then I do the back. This gives the front 3 days of dry time.
There are two reasons that I use the minwax Spar Urethane. First, All the other clears I looked at said "remove any dirt, wax, etc." from the wood. Minwax has wax in it! That's a problem..... The Minwax Spar urethane is compatable. So I have no choice.
The second reason is when I deliver my signs, I give the collector written instructions on how to "refresh" THEIR signs as needed. Everyones familiar with the product line and you can get it anywhere. This solves the "how long will it hold up to the weather?" question. It's even available in a rattle can.

Now I mask the copy area with Avery paint mask and hand carve the letters through the mask. Then 2 coats of high build primer (Sign Prime tinted with Lamp Black Tints All),2 coats of 1Shot Speed Dry UV Clear, 1Shot fast size and gild with surface gold. The pin stripe around the boarder is just sized and gilded with patent pushed into the "V" with a short, very stiff brush. I do these 6 steps in a total elapsed time of 3 hours.

This gild method is the real test that Mike, and others, are doing for me. So, don't try this at home yet. (I'm on the fifth year of testing here thou.)

Now the mask is sanded with 80grit to break the bond between the letters and the mask.

Now the galvanized steel straps are applied, the cove is painted burgundy and a burgundy shade is painted on the letters.

Here is the template modified with the same carving.

Well, that's it. This is my basic process and I'd be happy to discuss any questions or comments.
This doesn"t show or discuss the carving techniques, but if some have an interest I could do that too.

I hope this may be of use to someone.

Thanks,

Joe
Last edited by joe cieslowski on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

What a great job you made of this sign.
thanks for sharing Joe.
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Great job....always SOOOOO interesting to see how others tackle their work.
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

That is a terrific step by step Joe.... thanks for taking the time. I really like this piece, top notch!
I'm glad you sorted out the posting pics issues, you've got some beautiful stuff to share.
Mark Fair

Post by Mark Fair »

That is absolutely Beautiful work.
Thanks for taking the time to share such a beautiful piece.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Joe,
Beautiful job, and great photos to document it! Thanks for taking the time to do the step-by-step and thanks a ton for posting it to this site. Larry White and Dave Smith have done a few for us, and we are welcoming anyone else who wants to have a go at it.

Thanks again!
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
joe cieslowski

Thank You!

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. A special thanks to Danny B. for getting me off the mark. Latley, I've had the feeling that the interest in carving was headed out the window. Danny said it WOULD be out the window unless someone steps up. He also said I was too old to worry about it anyway.....hmmmmmm :?

I sent the link to my collector and he really loved it...... he loves the site too. I also sent it to John at SignCraft. He expressed an interest in publishing it.

Now I have to get out my good english and spell check and ship it out to him.

Thanks Again,

Joe,

Makin Chips and Havin Fun!
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Unless I missed it in the notes, how much time did it take from start to finish, and do you feel the price you charge covers the actual job time?

As far as the statement of being too old to worry about it, you / we are of an age (gasp) we've become proficient at the work we do. It's good, competent work, charge as much as the market will bear.

If the customer considers the price too high and tries to negotiate - don't.... then don't worry about it. Or was it concern about whether those on the board would consider the carving relevant? The answer is obvious from the feedback!

Never thought about SignCraft. Get the info to him, this is exactly what they're looking for: good photos with good text.

Nice Job!

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks Danny,

I never negotiate unless it's to raise the price (I do that when, on a rare occasion, someone asks if I can do better? :) )

I break out the price in 3 parts:

1. The carving (the "art" part)

2. The sign (lettercarving, substraight prep and finish)

3. Materials and parts (wood, straps,hardware and bracket)

Time:

1. 8 hrs carved and stained.
2. 8 coatings 2 hrs
11 letters carving 1 hr
paint and gild letters 1 1/2hr
shade and boarder paint 1 hr
substraight prep 1 hr.

3. wood
hardware and bracket
Totals: time 14 1/2 hrs

If I had 2 of these a week I'd be real happy!

This has only been shown once at my last fair of the year. (I market mainly thru a few summer fairs) I expect the value will rise as I begin my new season in about a month.

I hope this was informative,

Thanks Again!

Joe,

Makin Chips and Havin Fun!
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Hey Joe-
Thanks for sharing that whole thing. It was quite enjoyable. It's nice making some money at something you like to do! If you can make your vocation your vacation, it's all in the bag! Without ignoring my family, coming up to the shop here in Machine and working on a project, ranks right up there with my favorite things to do! Stop on by sometime.

-Larry