Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Popcorn sign restoration by Rick Glawson

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Popcorn sign restoration by Rick Glawson

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello guy's.
I remember Rick restoring a popcorn sign back in the late 80's early 90's. I first seen it in The art of glue chipped glass signs book . I think this is the same one forsale on this auction site Jeff Lang sent to me yesterday.
Is it the same one? the break in the corner looks the same.
Dave

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/824-Ad ... 2721QQrdZ1
Kent Smith

popcorn

Post by Kent Smith »

Hi Dave, boy that sure does look familiar. It is similar to the ones Rick and I found at Western Sandblast in Chicago so I might be blending them. I agree that the break in the corner tells it though. I still have the 7x20 one that I captured at WSC and have reproduced a few times. Rick had one of my reporductions but I have not seen it in years, I would be curious if it popped up somewhere. My copy of the book only has the replica wagon in San Diego.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Kent
Did you actually visit western Sandblast in Chicago? Ive also just seen a wheel of fortune on ebay made by Evans and co, who I think were also in Chicago area. am I correct?
Thanks for the reply Kent.
Dave
Kent Smith

WSC

Post by Kent Smith »

Hi again,

Yes, we took a trip into Chicago from a Sign Ideas Convention out west of town and were there as they were cleaning out the building after Mr. Pine died. I don't remember the year, 80 something, and it was Rick, me, Judi, Audri, Joe Balabusko and Neil Hayes. Joe and Neal were the locals and acted as guides and I don't remember who else went along. That is where Rick got the tin masks that hung in the rafters of the back shop and the one with Western Sandblast's name and address. He also got a number of glass pieces which had been left to restore as did I. They did a lot of popcorn wagons, vending and slot machines, railroad signs including observation car drum signs. That is where we got the leads for angel gilding, using asphaltum to avoid plings and chipping boxes too. Most of the glass in the place was in a roll-off dumpster except for the really old pieces which were buried under and behind the newer glass so we hit the jackpot. What was sad was there were many old pieces already broken into many small pieces in the dumpster as well as lots of water-white glass. Rick posted a photo on the Letterville site he had of Willie, who was the old guy on duty at the time, a few years ago. Willie helped us acquire those old pieces which we just barely saved from the dumpster. I cannot for the life of me remember which ones that hung at Ricks were from that trip. Rawson and Evans was their higher-class competitor across town with another location in NY and it was much later that we learned so much about them. No idea how WSC outlasted them but they were still opertaing in a building near the airport up to a few years ago, not the same though. From correspondence I had with an employee, they were still using pretty primative methods which we all have surpassed. I have restored and replicated a lot of their slot machine fronts and vending machine fronts this last year so they are fresh on the mind. I am also working on a 1913 Fresh Buttered Popcorn 5 cents sign which is one of the originals I have, for a collector. Really nostalgic about that one because Rick had stumbled upon the original catalogue page for the popcorn truck which pictured that sign plus some others I have, peanuts, sandwiches, ice cream cones etc.

Anyway, long story to say, yeah, it was a great opportunity and one of the best of the many field trips Rick and I went on together.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hey Kent,
I believe the year was 1987. Darla and I went to that show at Pheasant Run, just outside Chicago (St. Charles). A few of went to the glass shop in the afternoon, then we met up after the show at a small upstairs restaurant where a big group of us had dinner. Rick had one of the zinc masks, if I remember correctly. Besides the names you mentioned, there were other friends at the dinner including Terry Hopkins, Ellis Doughty, Lynn Rogers, Mark Klein, Darla, and myself. I met David and Suzie Butler for the first time at that show, too. There was a lot of talent at the table that night.

Best regards,
Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Kent Smith

remembering

Post by Kent Smith »

Hi Mike,

I thought I remembered you and camera at WSC but i wasn't sure. Didn't you go through their sketches in that upper file room? Judi was running registration for Sign Ideas attendees and had gone there a few days early and I arrived just in time to go on the field trip. We both remember the dinner with a really big bunch there, including Cecil Sanders whom we all met there and Rick made the initial deal with him for Commonwealth Varnish. Besides the ones you mentioned, Bill and Marsha Betz, Keith Miller, Liza Netzly (now Hopkins), Tod, and I agree about David and Susie. That weekend turned out to be a great non-Letterhead...Letterhead pivotal gathering.

Thanks for more memories. I have so many they are harder to differentiate all the time. May be an age thing, the mental hard drive is getting full and the seek feature malfunctions more fresquently.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Kent,
Yes, you mentioned some other names I would have forgotten about. There were two tables, so I mainly remember the people Darla and I sat with that night. You and Judy were at the other table with Rick and Lola and the others you mentioned.

It is nice to stop and reminisce once in a while. Those kinds of moments unfold in front us at the time, and even though me might take a second to realize how great they are, it sometimes takes a few years to really get to see and feel the significance. As you mentioned, Rick made a few contacts there that helped change and grow his business and all of us made some lifelong friends.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Here's another one up for sale that reminded me of Rick's.
Natures Remedy

Here's Rick's version from the Fine Gold Sign Co.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com