Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

BOISE GOLD LEAF WORKSHOP

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Studden

BOISE GOLD LEAF WORKSHOP

Post by John Studden »

An advanced Gold Leaf Techniques Workshop will take place on May 18, 19 20 at Noel Weber's Classic Signs, in Boise Id. Three intense days of all types of interesting subjects related to Reverse Glass decoration. This class typically fills up quite quickly...I know some people could not make it last time, now is the time to register to ensure a place. Boise is great at that time of year, with a lot of incredible signage & murals to see around town.
The class is always great fun, with a lot of knowledge & great projects to take home.

Contact either noel@classisdesignstudios.com or john@johnstudden.com

Noel Weber, John Studden
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Well, looks like they're at it again, those gild hands! I was smart enough to attend their last Gold Leaf on Glass Workshop! What a treat it was! We created 4 unique projects covering very wide range of techniques, all with a preliminary demonstration from either John or Noel. Not only do you get the best hands-on instruction, you get to do it within the confines of the Classic Design Studio in wonderful Boise, Idaho. I really can't say enough about how well this workshop has been organized, and the execution keeps you busy and excited. I give this workshop my whole hearted recommendation, for folks just discovering this craft, to the old gild hands. We all had a blast! If you're even remotely thinking about taking this, pull the trigger and go, you won't be disappointed, I promise!

This is what we created:
The main project, Gold Leaf on Glass Workshop, finished size 21" x 18". Water gild, 2 run screen print, blended surface gilding, blended mica powders, paint blends, and a whole lot more, all from some sweet original Noel Weber artwork!

Another project, this International Letterheads logo. Finished size 14" x 9-1/2". Starting with a black screen print on glass, it's then surface gilded in a variety of leaf, with faux marble painted panels.

On this one I did a blended water gild, screen print back-up and black print. Noel and John then cover the steps of creating a split blended shade. The center is paint blended with abalone ornament. Finished size is 8-1/2" x 13".

This lovely art deco flower design employs a glue chipped panel, water gilded and printed, then it's paint in the remaining areas with prescribed colors.

I now have 4 great commemorative pieces for display, several pages of great notes, and deeper friendships with all concerned. Thanks Noel and John for putting this together! It really is over the top grand! I wish you much sucess!

...watch that Studden though...I seen him do some things... he's quicker than a rattler gildin' with no tip!
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Susan Banasky

Post by Susan Banasky »

What fabulous work!...I am drooling already and have just contacted Noel to put me on the May Class list for Boise. :D Being a beginner this is a little intimidating, but if I (or you) don't jump in with both feet, how will we ever learn it properly? ......I hope to hear of more students joining me in Boise....thanks to our teachers....can't wait!
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

You've picked THE best place to start this craft. ...you'll probably get hooked like the rest of us!
John Studden

Gol Leaf Workshop

Post by John Studden »

The Gold Leaf Workshop is coming up fast, there are still some places left, 3 days of serious hands on techniques that will enable you to tackle just about any Gold job, you will have great time...............May 18, 19 20
John Studden
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

endeavor to persevere
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Looks like you guy's are going to have some gilding fun up there with Mr Studden and Mr Weber.
Happy Gilding!

Dave
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Hey Sue,
I'm glad to see you doing this. John would be pleased. :) You'll do just great and you'll learn lots, I suspect you'll have lots of fun too. I remember attending my first gold on glass workshop , Gold Rush IV in South Dakota. It's hard to believe that was just three years ago! I was blown away by the talent and the generosity of the people there with their help. When you get back email me and I'll send you all my Canadian materials sources. :)
I wish I could join you and be your roomie again, but the timing is off.
I'm curious as to what experience level is required for a workshop like this.
I think there are a lot of beginners who are intimidated by the words "advanced". I realize it takes some extra effort to help them, but it would sure open up the potential participants. It would be interesting to hear some feedback on this from those teaching the class. There are a couple of people who are absolute beginners I would love to suggest this too, but don't know how the organizers would feel. Although I realize it takes more effort to teach them, the actual techniques are not all that difficult to do. I think you learn the most when you are in an environment with a number of different levels of knowledge where you need not feel intimidated to ask a question of a fellow student or instructor.
Have fun with it and send me pictures. :)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Kelly, The word Advanced should no make anyone feel intimidated, we are just introducing some extra techniques & embelishments to make a beautiful craft even more attractive, it is not difficult for anyone that can lay a leaf, even if they cannot they will learn quickly. Just come with an open mind & take some notes, it will all fall into place, these workshops are always a great learning experience. John
John Studden
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I'm glad to hear that you are open to any level of experience John.
I'll pass the information on and encourage the two I have in mind to come.... I was just reluctant to do so if it was going to cause difficulties for you instructors because it would require going back to basics for them.
I think a lot of people look at the word advanced as requiring some background. Just as you would never take an advanced Spanish, or advanced computers class without having taken a basic class in that subject first. If you are indeed open to all levels of experience it might help to state that...I guess that depends on if you want a few or many beginners. :wink: I personally like being in a workshop where I can be a little help to those less experienced, it makes me feel important. I know I usually learn lots from fellow classmates.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

I have the registration form to send to anyone interested, contact me at

john@johnstudden.com
John Studden
Bob Gilliland

Post by Bob Gilliland »

WOW!

No, make that WOW! WOW! Thanks a million John and Noel!

To anyone reading this, if the opportunity presents itself to attend a future class, go for it! If the opportunity isn’t there, make it happen anyway; you won’t be disappointed. More later; I need to get some sleep.
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg, PA, USA
Susan Banasky

Post by Susan Banasky »

:D After watching John Jordan's passion for his craft at several meets, I was inspired to seek out and learn the art of glass gilding, to learn it properly, like the Masters, from the Masters. I decided is my priority this year.

I am happy to report that I have just returned from 3 intense days of Noel Weber and John Studden's Gold Workshop in Boise, Idaho and they have fulfilled my dream to learn to lay gold.

After drooling over the wall jewelry in Noel's shop, we got right to work to learn as much as humanly possible in the time we had.

Their class is top notch, as are the instructors.
Each having their own way of laying gold, we learned many different ways to create very classy projects. Each of the three panels supplied were well planned out, with little lost time waiting for a project to dry, as we had other projects to jump to in the meantime and learn more. Many of the tips and tricks learned can be applied to other signs as well. The class was intense and well structured, but very casual and so much fun. We were in awe of the talents and willingness of our instructors to share their knowledge.

Most of us were beginners, some had a bit of knowledge, but we all walked away with the information we needed to produce great works of art, in just three wonderful days. It doesn't get any better than that. (No they aren't paying me to promote this!)

On Saturday night we had the walking tour of the downtown core and were dazzled with creative windows, signs and the pheunominal designs.

I strongly encourage everyone to experience this class.....beginners through to advanced will learn a lot. To Rich, Peter, Dave, John, Bob, Ralph, and Rainey....thanks for being great classmates....and to John and Noel....a huge 'Thank you' for offering this class.
A big 'Thank you' to Lucy Weber and all staff.

I would take this class again in a heartbeat.....

Here's hoping all other Letterheads jump on this opportunity to learn from Noel and John, while they still offer their classes. John Jordan will be smiling down, happy that his passion lives on.