Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Just to let you see...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Hedley

Just to let you see...

Post by Hedley »

This is just something I did recently. The lettering is entirely freehand and obviously could be improved but all comments and advice from the experts is very welcome.
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hedleysflutebandart
www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Look the Part - Marching Band Art
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Hedly,

Nice Job. Very nice!

Joe,
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Hedley

Post by Hedley »

thank you Joe
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Jamie Whitley

Post by Jamie Whitley »

Looks great! What is it painted on?
Jamie Whitley
Reynolds GA
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Hedley, Great! lettering is Fine! very cool illustration!

John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Hedley

Post by Hedley »

Jamie Whitley wrote:Looks great! What is it painted on?
It's painted onto a marching bass drum skin as most of my work involves these. The lettering is my own but the badge was given to me. I would have actually preferred to re-do it and tidy it up. But there you go.....
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Hedley,
Mike Stevens, in his landmark book "Mastering Layout" speaks of the fact that if you have a strong layout and your basic letter construction is sound, you can have mistakes, roughness and imperfections in the lettering. The most important thing is the layout - having good negative and positive space to easily lead your eye through the layout. That's particulary important in this day when perfect letters can be cut or printed by any computer but layout requires a thought-out, human element. Your layout is obviously simple and strong so I think you nailed it there. Perfect for the format you are working with.
Having said that, I also see nothing wrong with your lettering or anywhere that you might improve it. If there is one area that I would change it would be in your drop-shadow. It may be just a bit too dark. I like a drop-shadow to give the illusion that the letters are set-off from the background, and if it is too dark, it can compete with the main text. Another thing I like to do is make my shadow hue somewhat complimentary to the main lettering. In other words, if the letters are a warm color, I would make the shadow a cool grey. If the letters are a cool color, I would make the shadow a warm grey. It doesn't always work but it's one of those subtle things to help your primary copy "pop".
Keep up the good work. It's interesting to see the different niches lettering artists find for themselves.
Dan
Hedley

Post by Hedley »

Dan
Thank you very much for your input and in taking the time to give a detailed response. Interestingly enough, I mixed that grey shadow myself and knew that it was darker than intended. So thank you for the confirmation 8)
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hmba2