Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

MDO Failure

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

MDO Failure

Post by Roderick Treece »

My client call to say that the new constrution sign I had made had a major failure.After only 3 days in the San Deigo rain( which isn't much) you can see that the whole first layer has delamed.
I've been making MDO cut out signs for years and have never seen anything like this.The edges where sealed really well and at least 3 coats of exterior enamel as a finish.

I've been told by the Lumber Co. this is called a "Blow Out" when the glue dries in an area before the next layeer of wood is layed down.
They are reimbursing me 2 to 1 for the material but I'am eating the labor/porfit.

Luckley the other 7 were not put out in use yet.

Now you know why I like working on glass so much.

Sometimes you just can't win !

Roderick

Thanks to Danny for posting the photos.

www.customglasssigns.com