Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Acid toning

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Acid toning

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi folk's
I was making some tests over the weekend with white acid. I needed a new test stripe so l ended up etching a panel 22''x16''with a banner design I used for my card.
I etched a total of 7 tones- 8 including my canvas white tone . I have some Brilliant cut panels on the go and needed to get an Idea on what tones to pick for them ,they will have 3-4 tones once finished.
I will have some pics of them next week when they are finished and will post them here for you to see .Excuse my photography on these but you get the idea with the pics.always in a rush!
Hope your all well.........

Dave

Image[/img]
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Once again Dave -you push the boundries of our craft to a new level.

If thats a 'Test"-...I can't wait to see those REAL pieces! :D
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Wayne.

These type of tones really only look good with pictures and scrolls but as you see with the London pubs and some of the wonderful photograph's that Doug has taken in and around London they can be used to very artistic effects ,when silvered or gilded and combined with brilliant cutting they take on another dimension. Adding different size micas to the tones looks good also.
Dave.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

It looks really good Dave, is there an explanation of the process involved available somewhere for those of us who are not too familiar with it? I know the HLF doesn't like to encourage the use of acid to those who are not aware of it's hazards. There are some of us just HAVE to know how things are done. :)
Whatever happened to your "Edwards" piece you posted a little while back - was it a go?
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Kelly
I have some pieces which will be finished in a few days explaining the process a little.
What I will do is post them here as a step by step, they are actually for Sign Business but that will be in a bit more detail for there mag.
I am still waiting for the go ahead on the Edwards sign ,should come off soon when the customer has finished his bar re-fit . fingers crossed! Got paid for the design so he should hopefully go ahead......... Will have some details soon on Gary's workshop in Virginia too..
Dave
Kelly Thorson

I'll be watching

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Well with your promise of a step by step and Larry's "feeling one coming on" I'll be keeping and eager eye on this place. :)
Thanks Dave!
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.