Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Endeavour to Persevere...(it's done)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

WB...

Thank you for the clarification. I thought I might have been leaning over while viewing the picture on the monitor.

You cannot believe the nostalgic look that comes into John Yarnell's eyes when I speak of Mental Health Friday's. I can't be sure, but I think the eyes mist up a bit. 'Tis tough when the men of Machine let their emotions cloud their vision. He says he really misses those visits. Sad, so sad.
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

circle of mental health days has no endings.

mental health days give sacred visions...they are for all right now.
our southern brothers were prohibited from attending them... by the spanish devils.
but now even the Notoemne and the Dene....know of its healthy ways

quest for mental health days are a great blessing. To do so, one must go without
work and telephones. All the sacred spirits recognize those who attend. It's good to
prepare for life in this way.

we all see dead men all the time....
we some in the daytime
we some in the night time...
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Dennis Davis

Varnish mixture

Post by Dennis Davis »

Larry,

As you posted this tutorial, much of which is far beyond my capability to understand, you stated the following about mid-way through the thread:

"I proceeded to apply a liberal coat of 50/50 mixture of WW Window Spar varnish and Damar varnish. I then sprinkled it with a mix of glass glitter, silver flitters, and a product from Michael's Craft Store called Diamond Dust (which looks like a very sparkley white glass smalt). I shake it over the area with one of those shaker jars they have the red peppers in at the pizza place. I tip it up and shake off the loose, then reapply and let dry." Emphasis added.

My question is why is there a need to mix the 50/50 mixture of varnishes? Does this step slow or speed up the drying process. I wanted to inquire about this when I first read it, but the "intimidation factor" made me sit on my hands. I decided I'll never know unless I ask the question.

Thanks to you and all others who post on this forum.

Dennis in Boise
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I have a guess though there seem to be many different ways of getting to the same place these days. The damar being so darn thick and viscus, adds a level of open time and density(a holding power kinda hair-gel thing) to the process. From here I'll just sit on my hands and await the reactions as well. I have to add that in the Leblanc/Smith book edition that I have, Carol Chapel used diamond dust in the "eye" of the piece/photo of her work depicted there. She and I had a conversation about that quite a number of years ago. She is a gifted "craftsman/woman"
Steven Vigeant

mica backup?

Post by Steven Vigeant »

Mr. Black I'm afraid this post is dated months ago!

When you put on the mica blend in stages, are you adding to the previous layer in any way to double up the coat of powder or is it a single layer each time? Can you explain using white as the back-up? What is the rule of thumb for backing up the mica? Is white generally the brightest. I'm surprised that the white didn't lighten up the gold too much.

Schofield
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Scofe-
Ya, each layer (additional color) of mica powder was applied over the previous. I backed it with white spray paint, which I figured would be the brightest and most neutral. Alternatively, could have been backed with silver spray paint.

-TBF
Dennis Davis

Re: Endeavour to Persevere...(it's done)

Post by Dennis Davis »

Two years plus a couple of days since this thread has seen a post. I believe the tutorial is worth another look. Sure turned out nice. The folks at Machine should be proud.

Dennis
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Duncan Wilkie

Re: Endeavour to Persevere...(it's done)

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

Nice step by step Larry. A work of art for sure.