Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Revealed glass sign

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Revealed glass sign

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi
I Wanted to share this with you.
I was passing through the next town called Newton Abbot and saw a sign company scraping the paint off the front of a glass sign. I went back this morning to take some pics before they stick Vinyl over it and turn it into an Indian Restaurant which will happen on Monday, so the sign chap told me. As you can see there are letters behind the glass ,I took a close look and I think the letters are made of pressed copper ,it's all been painted but some areas were showing a copper finish which I think the Brilliant sign company in London were using to make these signs.
Dave

Image[/img]

Would of looked very nice in it's day. Probably had some gilded letters on the curved glass either side of the doors once also.

Dave
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Nice find Dave- At least its not all being pulled down and dumped!

I remember a very broad glass fascia here at a fishmongers-It was painted over years ago, several times, but had an unmistakable art nouveau shape to it.

One day I saw some shop fitters painting the whole thing white- next time I went by- all the fascia was gone!
I found out years later that they had attempted to drill the panel for stand off letters and smashed it all to pieces.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Wayne.
That nearly happened to this sign also . When I spoke with the signfitters they told me they had already tried to drill the sign but found it to hard ,so they decided to scrape away some paint which revealed the glass. The reason they are scraping it off now is so they can stick double sided tape to there foamex board and fit the sign that way I think, they said they needed it smooth.
Looks like it will be covered up for another few years.

Dave
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Dave,
Great detective work.
Pat