Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Question about 12 hr. Lafranc size?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Arnott

Question about 12 hr. Lafranc size?

Post by John Arnott »

Since they changed the formula on the 12 hour, what do we do now? The 3 hour Lafranc seems to go off real quick. Is there anything out there better?
Since 1978
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

I've still have a good supply before the change, but from what I've heard of those using it, you'll only see a difference if your using straight 12 hr. Using a the standard 50/50 mix of 3 and 12 should be much the same.

Best way to find out is size something at the end of the day, and lay some leaf the next morning. As far as I know there is nothing better.

Edited to add:

From what I've heard, using the new 12 hr mixed with the old 3 hr seems to work ok, but problems with all new material.
Last edited by Danny Baronian on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

John....you know I was going to make a post about this as I only heard recently about the subtraction of lead. I've also heard there are alot of problems and I will see what it takes to switch to an English brand. Of course I have the name at work and will have to insert that on Monday when I get back there. Sure look forward to seeing all the solutions.
Terry Colley

Post by Terry Colley »

There have been problems with the 12 hour and as from what I have heard they are testing a new one, which should be ready soon. I managed to get some of the old stuff to see me through but paid a high price for it
cheers Terry
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Terry.....we met these folks at Stewies meet last spring. What was the name of their company and have you not tried their size? It seemed to me they knew their products and had a brand I'd never seen. As I recall they also had a size that was 18hr. which interests me alot. Wrights of Lyme rings a bell?
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Is this Lymmit what you are talking of Doug? We were wondering here about how it performed. Maybe someone from the UK can provide some feedback.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I am probably lucky. I have a big supply of the really old Commonwealth sizes and varnishes from Steven Parrish's kits. Before the museum opened, I combined his opened cans and sent the empty ones to Cincinnati for their display.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons