Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

How to get in touch with Don Coplen

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Rick Janzen

How to get in touch with Don Coplen

Post by Rick Janzen »

Hi Gang,
I was wondering if anyone knows how to get in touch with Don Coplen. I was interested in getting the Palms Trilogy Collection, but had some questions in regards to how much of the original catalog is in the collection, and how much is reworks of existing images.I was talking to the good folks at Letterhead Supplies, but Kristi wasn't sure and mentioned they had lost contact with Don. I just finished a workshop with Ken Soderbeck, and have some projects in the wind that would benefit from the collection. I mentioned the trilogy collection to Ken, but he was concerned that it may not be the full catalog. If it is, I would like to add the Palms Trilogy Collection to my reference bank. I have a friend who has an original catalog, but to have it in a vector format would be a great time saver.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hi Rick, sorry that I can't help with the contact request, however, it would be apprecited if you would post some info on Ken's workshop as I didn't know he was doing them. Thanks in advance.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Rick Janzen

Post by Rick Janzen »

Hi Ron,
Ken ran two workshops, one in Jan/07 and Feb. 07. The folks that helped organize the classes were Ryan & Linda Devries. The classes were advertised on ebay, so there wasn't a lot of response. I mentioned the next time they should advertise on some of the sign sites. I was 1 of two sign painters to take the 2nd workshop ( there were 7 people in the class). We talked about doing a advanced workshop for people with hand lettering experience. I'll contact Linda and give them the site. This is the first time Ken has given the workshops and I'm not sure when they do another. I must say it was a wonderful experience. Ken has a wealth of knowlege and experience to share, and it would be a shame to see it fade away into the hands of time.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Rick,
Don Coplen registered with this forum. He is #224 in the list and shows up on page 5 of the list when I view it. If he is still using his same email address, you can send him a Private Message from his user profile when you click on it.

I didn't buy Don's collections, but from what I heard, you only get a very small portion of the images actually printed in the booklet. The others are derived by combining elements. Maybe someone else can expand on this. (I'll remove this paragraph if I am wrong)

Good luck!
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Rick Janzen

Post by Rick Janzen »

Thanks Mike,
Kristi from Letterhead Sign Supplies mentioned they had tried his email, but recieved no response. Just thought I would let you know that I'm getting a lot of use from the collections I purchased from you. If you watch close, you may see some in the movies you go to. Hope you don't mind.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the plug! I will be watching for them.

I think Danny knows more about the Trilogy collection. Rick had several of the Palm Brothers catalogs and worked out a deal with Don to get them digitized, with Rick marketing them.

I can't remember which of these images came from my catalogs or from one Danny bought from the Glawson brothers. The Palm Brothers put out several catalogs, some with the same images. I think I have three or four of them now, but I'd have to look.

You can read a little of Don's comments on this page moved over from the old BB
https://handletteringforum.com/forum ... =palm#2381
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons