Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

CNC vs Hand Carving

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

CNC vs Hand Carving

Post by joe cieslowski »

I recently completed a project which had the heads of three Greek Gods carved and then attached to a medalion. This is the artwork I was given.

A good friend offered to carve it on his CNC....the image need to be 5 1/2" wide and tall and 1/2" thick. This is what he got using a 1/16" ball cutter.

His quote "This piece will only be usefull to demonstrate the limitations of a router. I think it would be easier if it was 4X larger."
This is my hand carving...

Here it is gilded and applied...

Joe,
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

The thing, in this case your beautiful hand work, does indeed speak for itself.
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
Russ McMullin

Post by Russ McMullin »

There is really no comparison. It turned out beautiful.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Great Job Joe.....love the finished job.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks for the compliments everyone........Here's one to wrap your brain around......This is a lithopane routed by the same friend that did the relief piece.

Looks pretty good to me...

This was routed into a nylon based material....I don't think it was plexi.....it's actually a negitive which can only be seen when it is back lit.

Oh well....back to my old bench :wink:

Thanks again,

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Well that one certainly has it's merits. Seems to me there's room for all and each of the techniques have something special to add. I am pretty impressed with that routered "plastic"or lithopane