Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glass preparation for gilding

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Glass preparation for gilding

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Having been away from glass gilding for some years but having success with current gilding I am wondering if there are any updated methods of preping glass for gilding. Have used Prep-sol, Bon Ami, Cerium Oxide. I have also used the flourescent mineral light to detect "tin side".
What can one do when faced with newly installed glass (vertical) that shows the tin side inside. Can't change that so I assume that one use regular cleaning techniques and perhaps avoid large areas of gold to avoid the streaks/cracks if they develop. Are the cleaning preps (above) suficient to prevent the gild from peeling?
I have been experimenting but any input will help the process. Recommending a "portable" glass piece to the client helps overcome some of the trouble areas in gilding but a newly installed door or window remains a problem.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bob

Any sources for inexpensive mineral lights?
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Robert, A mineral light is handy for Angel Gilding, but with water gilding it does not make any difference which side you use, they would look identical. The normal cleaning 3 times with Bon Ami is sufficient, streaking in large areas has more to do with the Size, usually too much gelatin, always use distilled water & do not bring to a boil, this also would damage the gelatin. Giding a large area without Cracking or lines etc. should not really be a problem, an occassiona blemish here & there is just the nature of the Gold..........hope this helps. John

You could probably get a light from Letterhead Sign Supply
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Kent Smith

Clean Glass

Post by Kent Smith »

I gild on new installations all the time. That is the idea, new customers, new glass. Preparations other than BonAmi ie PrepSol are ususally only for those stubbon applicatons where there is a lot of construction contamination. If the glass appears to be particulary dirty from installation, handling or surrounding construction contamination, then simply clean first with a good conventional glass cleaner, followed by BonAmi to remove the balance and the residue from the glass cleaner. Greasy fingerprints and residue from maskants can be removed with alcohol. Dad used to use amonia and whiting which worked about the same. PrepSol is a last resort cleaner for really stubborn glass contamination. Cerium Oxide while not necessary for leaf gilding, does smooth out the area allowing better flow of water size. I find that to be an unecessary step though, especially since to do it correctly, it requires a lot of elbow grease which makes me too tired to do a good job of back up.

To test for cleanliness, mist spray with a little plain water which should not bead up, if it does, clean again.
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

Robert,

How could I pass up the chance?

We have Mineral or Tin Side Lights. Go to http://www.angelgilding.com/tools.asp [url] Also clean rinsing glass cleaner in powder and liquid form.

[/url]
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
Kent Smith

Cleaning Powder

Post by Kent Smith »

You can substitute Sarah's cleaning powder wherever BonAmi is mentioned. It works quite well but not only is it clean rinsing, it needs to be rinsed to eleiminate residue. By the way, except at Conclaves, I have never used a mineral light and find it to be overkill for most work. Just my opinion.