Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Anyone own/use a Cutawl?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Don Scott

Anyone own/use a Cutawl?

Post by Don Scott »

I did a search and found only one thread on this machine, from 3 years ago, so thought a new one would be in order. I just completed a full restoration on my K-11, and it works flawlessly. This has to be the 'Cadillac' ('Mercedes'?) of jigsaws.
I didn't get any blades with it though, but I managed to grind down the shaft on a 'normal' jigsaw blade to fit into the mounting recess. It works fine, for thin wood anyway, but I notice the back of the blade is wearing tiny notches in the V-shaped 'foot' on the stationary shaft.
Does anyone have some blades I can purchase, preferably for cutting wood or thin steel? I found several sources on the web, but they are over $5.00 apiece in packs of 10 only. I'd really like to try different blades/materials to see how useful this will be for my needs before investing over $100.00.
I'd love to hear stories from users of this incredible machine too, maybe some of you who posted to the older thread and are still using theirs. I see them on EBay all the time, so folks are still finding the tool useful, despite the high price and the availability of newer technology.
James Warwick

Post by James Warwick »

Do a Google search.. cutawl blades

I found this site right away and I'm sure there are more.
http://www.displaycostume.com/Cutawl-Bl ... 48890.html
Don Scott

Post by Don Scott »

Thanks for the link, I missed that one. Their prices look very good, almost too good. I'll contact them. Meanwhile, if anyone has a few blades they'd like to sell, I'm interested.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

I have a Cutawl K-11, about ten hours use on it...
for sale if anyone is interested.

Aho.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I've got a Cutall.
I just buy my blades from McLogan's in L.A..
Don Scott

Post by Don Scott »

Patrick Mackle wrote:I've got a Cutall.
I just buy my blades from McLogan's in L.A..
I just placed an order for blades with Display Costume. Seem like nice folks. I found McLogans on the web, but they don't seem to do mail order or on-line sales. Anyway, I have a question for you: My Cutawl came with a spring-loaded 'V' shaped foot, or back-of-blade support. I see from several of the websites that the 44HDL blade must/should be used with the 'Rigid Guide Foot 1KB'. However, this and the 30A and 60 blades are the only ones that show as needing this special guide (which is about $70.00, and I don't have one). Do I assume that all other blades can be used with the 'V' shaped foot?
Patrick Mackle

Foot

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I have always just used the "V" shaped foot. I never was informed of needing a different foot for a particular blade.
It has always performed fine. I suppose you may get better performance by using a specified foot/blade arrangement,
especially if the job requires that the components be operated at the maximum of their ability.
To order from McLogan's, I just phone them and have them send it UPS ground C.O.D..
Don Scott

Post by Don Scott »

Thanks for the response Patrick. Well, since I don't have an authentic Cutawl blade to look at, while I anxiously await delivery, I was using regular jigsaw blades with the shank ground down to fit into the 1/8" wide holder socket. The backside of the blade is squared off, on the part opposite the cutting teeth, and it has started to cut into the sides of the V-foot.
I am guessing that the correct blades have the backside kind of ground to a V-shape or are rounded somehow to run up and down the V-foot without scoring it? (Excuse the premature post here, as all my questions will be answered when I get the owners manual and blades, but I'm kind of into an obsession with this tool right now and really would like to know more...especially before I mess up my V-foot!)
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Don,
Have fun with the new tool! They were quite the rage for a period of time. The new CNC routers pretty much sealed their fate, along with the fact it takes a lot of practice to make it work.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons