Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

chipping on 1/8" glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

chipping on 1/8" glass

Post by Roderick Treece »

Has anybody ever chipped on 1/8" glass.

Roderick
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

yes
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Kent Smith

1/8"

Post by Kent Smith »

Yes
Roderick Treece

Well, cat got yer ?? Was it successful?Seams like it might be a bit to fragile.

Roderick
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Just don't put on the glue to thick or it can bend and break your glass.
Also if the glass is long or large, you might tape the corners down to the table. The glue may not pop if it is allowed to roll up the glass sheet.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

and the cat here says "Yes"
Kent Smith

1/8"

Post by Kent Smith »

There are so many variables that come into play with thinner glass. I have chipped 1/16" as well. To add to Pat's suggestions, the key I think is to have a complete smooth etch first (120 grit) then use thinner glue but it also helps to apply the glue very hot and only in the areas you wish to chip. To do that you have to have a good application of asphaltum and use an irrigation bottle or needle bottle to direct the glue. This procedure helps with any chip on any thickness of glass.

While my first answer was flippant, as with any other glass work, good judgement allows you to use any process on most glass.
Real Mercier

Post by Real Mercier »

I have chipped several 1/8" pieces. The last one being 6" x 41". No problems to report. What I watch out for is to not let the glue chip to any edge. In other words, I leave a glow line all the way around the outside edge of the glass. Glass fractures usually start at the edge, that is why I stay away from there.

I hope this helps.

Real Mercier
West Springfield, MA
Real Mercier
West Springfield, MA
Roderick Treece

Thanks,
What I have learned from this is now I know how to spell "flippant" and I got the answer to my question.I thick I'm going to do two things now.The first would be to use 3/16 glass and the second is to devise a really sneaky way to get back at Danny for being so "flippant".
Kent don't worry you were only following Danny's lead.

Thanks Guy's

Roderick
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Okay Rod....my reply goes more like...have chipped 1/8" many times with no problems. I have no way to work out why the glue seems to know how deep to go? Also...the idea of NOT chipping to the edge sounds "sound". Sir Danny's reply was fun and to the point fer sure! So....go for it!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Roderick,
Maybe you should watch that scene from Phenomenon in which the interogater is asking John Travolta's character some questions. The net result of the scene was him telling the interogater he needs to be more specific in his questions to get the answers he needed. In this case, you asked a broad question that was replied to with an equally simple and concise answer. I have to admit, I thought "yes" was THE answer to your question, too. :)

By now you probably know the better question would have been "Has anyone had any problems chipping 1/8" glass?". That equally simple question would have evoked a lot of interesting responses.

Just sitting here getting a bit of a chuckle out of the post.

Mike Jackson
Last edited by Mike Jackson on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I answered Rods post, as did others.

If he want's specific answers, he's gotta ask specific questions - like Travolta said.

Someone has to keep Rod in line!

Besides, I called him and set him straight.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Okay Danny....now thats enuf. You should be careful who you call fussy. I happen to know Rods a good guy and your insulting folks in this public way is uncalled for. Now lets seen if I can find an emoticon to truley express my sense of outrage at this afront! :lol:
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Ditto :lol:
Roderick Treece

O.K. everybody now just settle down.I got my answer and yes I should have been more specific.I to got a laugh out of it and it's nice when you can get a call from a site administrator seconds after posting a question.Shows just how bored they are or how much they miss you,Or both.

One thing about the HLF that I like is it gives anbody a chance to post what they want when they want.Sometimes it's totally relivent and some times not.Some of us get laughed at and some we tolerate.

Now I don't know about most of you but I like Travolta and I'm going to heed what Mike and Danny say.Mike can I barrow your copy of Phenomenon ?

Lots of love to all
Roderick
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Okay Rod....now I'm really ticked. If I understand correctly, you just called Danny....our Hero, irrelevant! If I were a site administrator I would have you banned from here.....okay...end of that. Although my intent in a post has been misunderstood many times on this and Steve Shortreeds site I hope the intent of poking fun at a few friends AND myself on this topic was not. I too value the effort put forward by Mikey, Danny and the nameless many.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Amen.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Roderick,
Besides all the comments given, all you'd have to do is go to a stained glass supply house to see a generous supply of 1/8" thick chipped glass sold for use with leaded and copper/foil technique.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Wow...this sure is a rough crowd.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

reckon
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com