Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Abandoned....

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Abandoned....

Post by Kelly Thorson »

One of the things that personifies me is my love of the "old".
Saskatchewan has more than her share of turn of the century artifacts...so many in fact that they are the norm rather than the exception.....
A harsh land with a bitterly challenging environment, so many of the initial settlements were abandoned and today the modern farmer probably farms a dozen or more homesteads.
Strangers viewing our landscape might find it desolate and depressing. Every mile or two is another abandoned house, barn, bin, vehicle.... Our landscape signifies broken dreams, lost hopes, failed challenges....it is a land of yesterdays....
To me, it portrays something else though...it shows the resiliance if those who have survived a harsh climate as well as economic challenges...it portrays a vast cross section of nationalities and personalities, those that have the vision and dreams to persevere against all odds. We are a culture comprised of dreamers and risk takers. Stubborn, strong and proud, many hold on to their homes long after common sense has dictated that the time has come to let go.
Being in the sign business in this environment is an entirely different animal..... I capitalize on a people's pride, the risk takers, and yes, their dellusions. There are days when that is a hard thing to do, puttiing my passion into what I know is a futile gesture. I'm a very soft person at heart and there are days when I find it very difficult to keep quiet and just do my job. Ultimately I survive by telling myself that each and every one of us has a right to our dreams, and in the grand scheme of things, my piece of the pie plays a big part in the visualization of dreams at a relatively small price. I put my heart into that, doing the best of my ability to give my customers their moment in the sun. There will be the odd few that survive against all odds...like me. Some will be my customers, some not... I only know that as time goes on, my radius of business grows....I suppose in the end, only the strong survive...funny - it's not really an attribute I have ever afforded myself.
I've thrown a lot of my emotions into photography in the past couple of years. technically I am not that strong, but what I am constantly drawn to is the stories left behind, that which still holds the dredges of lost hope, promise and dreams...not so much for what has been left behind, but for that which is yet to be discovered...for all the tomorrows, the dreams, the promises and the future.
Here are a few images that tell that story..may they serve as a reminder to each and every one of us, that life is about the journey. not the destination......

I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Think you could bring me down a couple of those old wagon wheels? ...we'll make up a good story! :D

-WB
Kelly Thorson

Well see here Mr WB....

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I was fixin' to come see you, but when I loaded up my tee-pee poles, it seems like the load was a tad to much and I blew some rims. The sound of my cursin' scared ma horses away too, so it seems I'm in a bit of a spot.....
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

I need some of those pictures!
Kelley, you need to take me to some of those sites so I can snap some shots for a special project I'm working on.
See you soon.

Aho.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Kelly those pictures are very nice. I have been wanting to sit down and learn how to use my camera. One of these days.......
Very Nostalgic shots !
Thanks for sharing.
Dave
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Kelly,
Nice photos! I've been shooting quite a bit of that kind of work, too. In the past year, I have been sending images to a stock photo agency, but all the images above (except the wild horses) would have required a property release. Some of those would be difficult if not impossible to obtain when just driving around the countryside snapping interesting shots. I guess everything depends on how you use them! A couple of the sites I read said to shoot the shot if it is a good one, then ask permission later if you need to get it for a commercial image.

I excluded the wild horses above, but if they were not wild, they'd potentially "need" a property release, too.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Thanks for the comments.
Dave I am far from the point of mastering my camera, lately I have been going out at least 3 or 4 early evenings a week ( I love the softer, golden light)and shooting 2 or 3 hundred pictures. I've been experimenting with the different setttings to see what works, and I'm starting to get the knack of how best to capture the light, but I must confess a lot of the best ones are still the good old "auto" settings.
I usually end up with a dozen or so shots that I consider very nice, usually not the ones that I thought were going to be. :) I also find that I find some diamonds in the rough when reveiwing them at a later date. Especially with the power of digital enhancement.
Mike I've seriously thought about stock photography, but it seems that you almost have to shoot with that in mind. I actually do have a few sessions that I did with that specifically in mind. It is a whole other mindset, but it was also a fun creative challenge. It also looks to be a whole lot of hoops for little payback. If you don't mind, sometime I'd like to talk to you about what you have found out in regards to that. Property releases probably wouldn't be a problem for me as the vast majority of my pics are within 50 miles or less from here and I know almost all the neighbours. Right now I have a request from a nice Saskatchewan magazine to send some images, so thats encouraging. I just can't decide which ones . :lol:
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Kelly,
There are a lot of sites that discuss the property and model releases. Realistically, it is a huge pain in the back side. I have resolved to mainly shoot images that contain one or more of my family members.

If a magazine or newspaper is using the images (for publication), I believe for the most part you can submit them without releases, but if you ever sell the images for commercial purposes, the releases start becoming important. The stock agency supplied me with blank releases they need filled out if I submit them to their business. A friend also submits images to the same place and he uses a very simple release form printed on the back of his business card.

Keep up the great work! I listened to a National Geographic photographer last fall. He was giving a presentation at the National Museum of Wildlife Art. He asked if people were interested in hearing how to become a good photographer? Every one perked up. His response was to shoot a lot, then delete all the bad ones. In another similar quip, he said the secret to getting great photos is to put yourself in front of great subjects.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Hey Tony,
Let me know what you are looking for in pics...you are welcome to anything I have, and if there is anything specific you want I may be able to stage it for you. This has been good therapy lately. There is no shortage of this type of picture opportunities available, but I have a hunch we'll both be too busy for traipsing around rural Sasakatchewan, unless you plan to extend your stay ( you are welcome too, we'll just bunk you in along with the Aussies.) ;)
Yes, see you soon!