Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Mask(s) for glass glue chipping

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Mask(s) for glass glue chipping

Post by Robert Schwieger »

For an "old timer" who still uses handcut masks for glass glue chipping please advise as to the preferred mask for chipping. Contact paper works OK but I am assuming that vinyl works as well if not better. My main concern is ease in removing the mask if its tack is too much.

Thanks

Bob
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

I'm pretty much sold on using the 4mil Venture Tape Sandblast Resist vinyl that I use on my sandblast patterns. It sticks good over asphaltum then removes easily without removing any of the asphaltum from the glass. It has never blown off during sandblasting. I've used several products with success, but this is what I like the best, and I always have it on hand. Works good for the double cut (no asphaltum) method too.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Robert,
The best glue chip I ever got was useing material from an old roll of Buttercut I had.Normally I use vinyl spray mask.which I can cut on my plotter or by hand.

Roderick

www.customglasssigns.com
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Larry,

Do you have a favorite supplier for the Venture Tape Sandblast Resist? I've been using the Avery white paint mask, which is about a 4 mil product. Most of my etching is done at 30 psi or lower. At that pressure, I haven't had any problems with blow offs but I really have to concentrate on not creeping up on the item being etched...I can easily find myself just a couple of inches from the surface. Constant nozzle movement and being aware of the possibility of heating the resist to the point of failure also helps. I'm still a newbie and trying to learn how to do this stuff. The Avery I've been using was purchased at Sign Supply USA, Inc. in Kennesaw, GA. Any supplier information you can share would be appreciated.

Dennis
Boise, Idaho
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Dennis-
You can find them here, Venture Tape. I have a direct account with them. They would be able to provide you with a list of distributors, hopefully one in your area. I believe CRL carries some of their products, including the sandblast resist.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
vance galliher

masking

Post by vance galliher »

Dennis, I use Venture as well and get it from CRL Kent Washington. !-800-421 6144.......Product #SB818......18" x 60' $145.00