Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Frank George Holmes Brilliant Cutter Liverpool, England

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Frank George Holmes Brilliant Cutter Liverpool, England

Post by DAVE SMITH »

About 8 months ago ,I received a phone call from Stuart Norton, a brilliant cutter from Newcastle. He told me about some old stone wheels which were for sale in Liverpool. Original cutting wheels are hard to find these days, and most crystal cutting and flat glass is now made with diamond wheels.
I phoned the number ,and spoke with Frank's son . He told me his dad had died 8 years ago at 67, and that he had been silvering and brilliant cutting since 16 years of age. He worked from home in his attic ,an amazing little workshop. After buying just over 100 wheels from Frank's wife, I asked her to write a letter about her husband and his life in the glass industry. I told her it would go into a magazine about Craftsmen. I won't say anymore as Jeff Lang will be putting this together along with Frank's wife's letter and some very nice old photos in the next issue of Letterhead's magazine. This is the artwork I have just finished designing for Jeff to accompany the story about Frank's career. Had some fun with Photoshop! made a change from glass work too.........
Dave

Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

in-exhaustable talent.

Besides sending a copy of AMAL, will a copy of your art be presented to Franks wife for framing?

A nice touch, most likely well received.

Well done Dave.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Nice Job Dave- and a fitting tribute to the man ( don't you just wish you met him before he died)-Its true what they say about " A whole library burns"-when someone like this passes)
Maybe there's a lesson in that for all of us?-To grab the old Pro's WE KNOW and pick their brains before its too late.

Thank heaven for this site and the likes of yourself Dave ,Mike, and all the others here who share what they have.

I look forward to reading that!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks!
Yes Danny I will be giving a copy framed to his wife. along with Jeffs Magazine. I agree Wayne definatly worth asking these guy's questions. I have found on some occasions they don'nt want to share techniques and usually end up taking them to the grave with them. You have to show your keen and to win there trust, I found this when I was under apprenticeship with two old boys at a sign co here in Torquay.

Dave
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Thanks Dave,What a treasure for all to see.

Roderick