Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Need help entering the 21st century

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kim Ross

Need help entering the 21st century

Post by Kim Ross »

I'm a pin striper in Phoenix (24 yrs.in business) and I've become very interested in hand lettering. My computer & I are barely on speaking terms ...it seems I've let the modern things pass me by. However, as I begin to look at different layouts done on photoshop and see adds for fonts to be used on a PC ,I realize that I haven't got a clue as to what this is all about. Are there any books out there that could catch me up to speed? Is it possible to teach an old dog new tricks?
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Welcome aboard in more than one way. I too have in the past had trouble joining this century although in past couple of years I and my computer have become friends. I took Dave Butler's workshop a few years back and it got me nicely started down that road. I still don't used it at the shop or at least in the same way most folks would but am able to see "past" the glimmer from the screen and see how a beautiful piece like Dave Smith's (another post near this called Frank George Holmes)) was done. Hope this was of help!
Raymond Chapman

Yes

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Yes...an old dog can learn new tricks. Many of us here on this Forum have gray hair (and some like me not have only gray hair, but a lot less hair). Most of these older, more experienced sign folks have adapted to the computer age very well, and even thrive on it. The secret seems to be in their head, rather than in the equipment they use. The principles of design are universal and can be adapted to any tool.

Books? You will find more than you can imagine. Go to a bookstore and start looking. Since you are just entering the computer age you will probably find it all confusing (I know I do) but hang in there. There are all kinds of tuitorials for just about any software you buy.

Once you have made friends with your computer and since you already are hooked up to the internet, go to www.lynda.com and subscribe to that site. There are lessons on just about anything you can think of...and all for just $25 a month.

Like Doug said, if you get a chance to take David Butler's workshop, take it....you will be exposed to a whole new way of looking at lettering and layout.

Good luck. It's a great adventure.
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

Hi there,

I have been absent for a while, but I was thinking I could help. I am more of a newbie since I have been painting for 9 years, but I also have my bachelor's degree in Graphic Design and a year of masters degree under my belt.
Anyway, one of my favorite books that could help you understand ALL about type is called "thinking with type" by Ellen Lupton and you can also read older books... The info doesn't cover "fonts" but does cover the critical ideals of layout and use, better than new computer based books.
As both Doug and Ray mentioned, Dave Butler's workshop is pretty good, I have yet to take it, but I know his skills are to be seen.

When I started my apprenticeship, the book I was told to read and memorize was "Mastering Layout" by Mike Stevens. I had already read it and also saw the video, I mean slept through the video... I know Mike Stevens was ahead of his time and stated some principles that STILL aren't taught in design schools.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!