Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Moose Jaw meet?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

Moose Jaw meet?

Post by Larry White »

I thought for sure the Handlettering Forum sent a reporter up to the Moose Jaw Letterhead meet. What happened to them? Did they do anything up there? We don't have to go over to that other site to find out...do we?
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Moose Jaw now has five beautiful new murals. I think we raised the bar to a whole new level.

Cosmic Ray - Louis Riel
For someone who was feeling unsure about being a project leader Coz came through in flying colours. What a fun guy and genuinely wonderful person. It was a pleasure to have him aboard.

Noella Cotnam - The Animal Clinic
Noella and Nancy knocked this one out in no time.

David Butler - History of the Capitol Theatre
Another Butler Masterpiece

Jon Butterworth - A Tribute to Ken Brown - The Last Dambuster

Tony Segale - The Chinese contribution to Moose Jaw

I was thinking on things on the way home from driving Tony to the airport this morning and this has become my favourite mural. It signifies everything these meets are about. Tony brought his daughter Erin and a girl, Megan who he has been a mentor for with him. Those two girls executed the vast majority of this mural under Tony's guidance. His pride in their accomplishment was very evident during the unveiling, and well justified. Kudos Tony! :D
I have lots more I'd like to say, but this will have to do for now.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Kelly,
Looks great!I would love to see photos of the murals finished on the buildings.It's cool to here that Tony was there with Erin.I really had alot of fun sharing time and a table with them at the Deadman.

Roderick
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Hey now they look special!- great Job - thanks for sharing those
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Here are some fun ones...yes Larry you have to go to that other place.... http://www.livingskyletterheads.com/for ... .php?t=310
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Looks like you had a great time up there Kelly. Some really nice work being done.
Lots of energy needed putting a meet like that together, well done! .
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Some great photos there Kelly...looks like you all had a blast!
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I think everyone had a really good time. The evening at the barn was enchanting, everyone seemed to have a great time exploring and taking pictures. Big thanks to Duncan at ComSign Distributing for supplying the steak supper and to Debbie MacDonald for putting it together.
There were some excellent seminars that were both entertaining and educational. I was really happy to see how much they were enjoyed. We had a few "newbies" who were blown away by the amount of help they got from some of the industry veterans and I think our goal of everyone leaving the meet feeling they had gained some new knowledge or skills was pretty much reached. There was a lot of sharing and learning happening and that's what it should be about. I was warmed by watching the interaction between those who taught and those who learned.
The Keim paints we used on the murals were a challenge to the project leaders and I appreciate them leaving their comfort zone to give them a go. The resuts were wonderful. The Burrowing Owl signs are magnificent....what a change they will make in the appearance of the place! The REO turned out beautifully, Bob and Anne were estatic and they stayed by their truck's side for the whole meet. It was a massive job and I can see why it would carry a $4000 + ticket.
My apologies for the technical issues with the audio for the Goldfather Banquet, if anyone would like a copy of the slide show let me know and I'll burn a copy and send it to you. A huge thank you to all who sent pictures, I used most of them and it will be a wonderful keepsake for the family. There were quite a few tears in the room and I hope it helped the family realize what an impact John had on so many of us. We raised $1938 on the silent auction panels and that will be put in a fund and used to assist new Letterheads in attending their first meet.
I had the opportunity to meet some people whom I have admired for a long time, they were warm and genuine and wonderful. It was a great deal of work and I'll be winding up for a while, but I am really pleased with how it went over and owe a great deal of gratitude to the other Living Sky Letterheads, project leaders and especially my incredible family for all they did.
Ultimately the success of the meet was about the attendees...thank you all!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Kelly....you can burn a copy for me. It goes without saying that the "movement" seems safe! Mailing
Doug Bernhardt
6 Brigade Ave.
Stittsville Ontario
k2s 1j1

It goes without saying that I'll return the favour!
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

On it's way.