Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Old Tavern Signs Book

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Old Tavern Signs Book

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I bought this book a few months ago on ebay. It was published in November 1916 and is number 367 of 550 numbered copies. The author was Fritz Endell.
Is anyone familiar with it?
It has some charming illustration plates of some of the old tavern signs.
I thougt maybe some of you would enjoy seeing some of them.

I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Totally awesome score! Show more...
Kelly Thorson

digital version

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I found a link where I think you can download a digital copy of the book. If you really like it here is one for sale It is a bit pricey, I got mine for $9.00.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

Kelly,
Thank you very much for that link....I think???? :roll: Have been downloading for hours...Terrific link...
Kelly Thorson

Good site

Post by Kelly Thorson »

It is a pretty amazing site isn't it. Run a search on the word "lettering" ....great for anyone interested in font creation. ;)
What search terms have lead you to treasure troves?
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Nice images Kelly.
I looked at the book and the image of the Cockrel on the first page would look great as a line etched image on glass.
When you come down to Larrys could you get me a copy of that image?
Thanks for sharing Kelly. Great Book!
Dave
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I'm pretty fond of that image too, Dave. When you say line etched what do you mean? Etched in a black background or chemically etched or sand etched or scratched out lines from gold with black backup? I'm intrigued...I think all would work splendidly.
He'd make a very nice smaller piece with a decorative border, now wouldn't he. :)
Maybe I should make a bunch of copies and hand them out and people can take them home to do an 8x10 cockrel project...it would be really an interesting exercise to see the different approaches everyone would take.
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

Signboards brings up some nice ones. Also enter To Market, To market. (All media types) Brings up two parts of movie about outdoor advertising.