Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Folded Paper Paint Cup

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Gary Herpst

Folded Paper Paint Cup

Post by Gary Herpst »

I was making a paint cup today and a fellow employee looked at me make one and said how amazingly quick I did it. I showed him how to make one and he got the hang of it after 1/2 dozen times. The folded paint cup that I was taught to make was from two 4â€￾ x 6â€￾ index cards was that I would use when working with a mahl stick. It had an approx. 2â€￾ x 2â€￾ pallette attacted to it, as part of it’s construction. It is held with the index finger and thumb, while holding the mahl stick with the other three fingers and palm. It allowed me to pallette without moving my mahl stick. I have been making these for so long, that I can make one in the dark with my eyes closed.

If someone could explain how I post a photo on this thread, I will post it and a diagram of how to fold one.

Gary Herpst (name added by admin 8-31-04)
John Lennig

folded paint containers

Post by John Lennig »

First thing Mr. Ron Maple, our Sign instructor at San Diego City College taught us was...how to make something to put your paint in!

4"x6" index card, or nowadays, something from the junk mail !!!, fold in thirds lengthways,crease, unfold, fold in thirds the width way (almost, make the "centre section a bit bigger than the 2 "ends") crease, unfold all the way, tuck the ends, diagonal like(here, i'll hold it up to the screen close like, so you can see...) anyway it works, made many over the years. good to put treasures in too! I put it on a pallet and hold whole works with stick, ready to go.

John Lennig / SignRider

ps, gsherpst guy, are you still handlettering at the shop on a regular basis??
"You spelled it wrong!"
Bob Rochon

Post by Bob Rochon »

now THAT is something I would love to know how to do.

Being the King of forgetfullness I love quick on the fly techniques when you somehow forgot cups back at the shop. :shock:

( just did that last week) :roll:
"Some People's Kids"
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Bob and the rest,
LeBlanc shows how to do the cup using an envelope in his Gold Leaf Techniques book. I dug out my old copy to photograph and include here, but the photos are pretty darned lousy. It gives basic instructions, but it is hard to understand what he is doing in the folds by trying to follow the washed out photos.

I would be happy to post all the photos in a step by step here if anyone can take the series of photos and write up a caption for each.

Also, slightly off subject, if you have kids or just like folding paper, check out this site:
http://www.khs.com/aboutgpa.htm
You can download a free sampler of "The Greatest Paper Airplanes" which has an absolutely fantastic interface (step by step animated images) showing you how to make some unique paper airplanes. We liked it so much we went ahead and bought the full CD. This folded cup reminded me of the CD.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Jeff Lang, from the great magazine AMAL, sent this image.

Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Jeff Lang

Hastings Folded Cup

Post by Jeff Lang »

Mike,
Thanks for posting the picture.
I found that piece of paper in an old sign book being used as a bookmark. It seemed to be semi-transparent & of a coated parchment type of paper. I suppose it was a give away. I made a photocopy & folded one up easily. Give it a try,
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi all,
I just received this from Gary Herpst, our new member!
I am new on your Hand lettering forum.... I wanted to take you up on your offer to post a couple of photos that would add to the Hastings diagram that was posted in the paint cup thread. I doctored the posted Hastings image to show the approximate size. The 4"x6" index card is folded in half and one side is folded in half again. Otherwise it the same as the Hastings cup. Adding the palette to the cup allows a little more hand freedom with a mahl stick.

Great work Gary. It is nice to see the finished cup. The 4x6 index cards make it even easier, knowing they will be thick enough to hold the paint. LeBlanc used white envelopes in his book.

Thanks!
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons