Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New Gilders Tip for Laying Full leaves

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

Post by Larry White »

...or it could be as simple as, "Professional Gilding, Perfected".

-WB
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I'm with Tony on the idea some may take offence to the "skill" being reffered to as "child's play".
I like Larry's idea, but how about using the word simply with it, so it would read:
"Professional Gilding.......Simply Perfected"
It gives a bit of an idea as to how easy it makes things, without insulting anyone's traditional skills.
Tony's idea of using the word angels is nice too, but it seems to close to the term angel gilding and some may try to make that reference.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Does Mark have his tip yet? See that he's received and used one, then use the layout pictured and add the first endorsement:

"This is a revolting development indeed! Mere sprites doing in moments what has confounded me for decades! And in their pajamas, yet!

Mark Oatis"

After asking Mark of course.

After all - can you imagine removing the pictures of the girls now??

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Yes I agree Tony it does sound that way ,yours was very good and I also liked Larrys, I think I will go with Kelly's suggestion of Simply Perfected. One more would be Proffesional Gilding Simply Perfected by Angels. what do you reckon? too much? I do not have Marks address. ...Mark if your looking in and you would like one send me your address.
Thanks

Dave
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

By all means leave the girls on there. They are adorable and a great marketing tool. But for the main artwork I think you want something that is consistent and timeless.
I do like Danny's suggestion about including a testimonial on the bottom, especially if it is fun.
I enjoyed Mark's comments, and Dan Seese's comment as to the price of progress being less holidays and fewer traditions really tickled my funny bone. I found it a delightfully clever twist on what is unfortunately a true fact. Changing the bottom images and testimonial occasionally would be a good way to keep the advertisement fresh and fun. Ask Dan to reword his in time for the holidays.
How come you are on here and not playing with your friends? Did they arrive safely?
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

What a clever Boy This Smiffy fella is!- I Bought a "Smith Tip" at letterheads in Wales last week- and must report its a fine fine tool.

I had chance to play around with it this afternoon and lay some gold on glass with it - Although I have done a fair bit of glass gilding- I don't do enough of it to get really confident enough to lay full leaves and end up wimping out and cutting leaves in the book- which works well- but is slow and always creates big Holidays in the gild- and leads to more double gilding- wasted and lost leaf and time and money.

5 Minutes playing around with my new Toy and I was a pro- laying full leaves in a single movement- and doing it very fast.

I have a couple of Big gold jobs lined up and am confident this new Tip of Dave's is going to make my life alot easier- and can see its gonna pay for itself in a single afternoon.

Well done Dave- and to the rest of you guys...get em while they're hot!!!
DAVE SMITH

Testing the Smith Tip Butler Style

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Wayne glad your pleased with it. I have had alot of sales of this new tip design. Wrights of Lymm in cheshire are now selling them and Handover Brushes in London. I sent a bunch of them to the States and now I am getting orders from Germany . I also sent one to the States to be tested by this man .

Larry White

AHO!

Post by Larry White »

moved
Last edited by Larry White on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I like it Larry! AHO!
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

I see you've acquired some more gilder's metal...

Yes, the Smith Tip seems to be a magnet for it.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

moved to ODM
Last edited by Larry White on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAVE SMITH

speedy tip

Post by DAVE SMITH »

A friend of mine called Jake Antsell who has been working at Kelly signs in Toronto sent me an email to tell me he had been using my new gilding tip on some recent pub jobs there.
I was amazed how quick he was laying the leaves.

This is his email

Hello mate,
i just thought you would like to know that with your tip, i managed to lay 147 leaves in under 50 minutes yesterday, i was flying!

its so busy here, we've never seen so much glasswork, i'll send you some pictures soon.

take care mate and we'll see you soon.

Jake.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

shameless self promotion....... :)

We want to see the pictures!
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

See what I can do on that one Danny. I will have a word. pretty impressive gilding speed though.
Dave
Suzanne Ravgiala

Re: New Gilders Tip for Laying Full leaves

Post by Suzanne Ravgiala »

I did gold leaf for 30 years and I used to run one of my brushes with oil on it across my left palm and then brush my guilders tip across it before picking up the gold. Also I used to have a piece of plastic a little larger than the leaf book and would wrap the pages around it as i used them to give me a little firm base. This tip looks like it would work great also.
DAVE SMITH

Re: New Gilders Tip for Laying Full leaves

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Suzanne.These work in a simalar way and are excellent for full leaf gilding.
Dave