Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Painting on black sunbrella canvas

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Painting on black sunbrella canvas

Post by Roderick Treece »

Over the years one job that comes into my shop from time to time is lettering signs on black sunbrella canvas.Traditionally I allway paint it by hand and it takes two to three coat for the lighter colors.I know of now other way to print on this material which help keep sign painting alive.One of my clients asked if it could be printed with some sort of a computer generated print and I told him I didn't think so.
Please let me know if you know of any other way(let's hope not)

Thanks Roderick

PS Best of luck Nobody
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Rod, Cut a vinyl mask, Gerbermask or similar , apply to the material, you can use a hard bristled rivet brush or something like that to make sure it is adhered properly, then mask of the outer areas & seal with aerosol shelac then roll on your color, it will use a lot less paint, did a lot of these years ago.....................D
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

I used to use two coats chromatic block out primer, one top coat lettering enamel.
Now it's one good coat Benny Moore Fresh Start h2o primer, one top color coat BMoore ext latex.

The use of a mask is significant, the idea is stupid.
In a great blackout, a computer can never find it's way around hand lettering.

Aho.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
vance galliher

sumbrella.......

Post by vance galliher »

Hey Rod, I do these all the time for a local awning shop........just what John said, but without the shellac spray. That would not only prime the material but also seal the mask edge and prevent bleeds under the mask. Thanks for the idea John, I'll try that. I also spray the back of the mask with 3M 77 after I remove the backing paper.''''it helps with adhesion, but maybe with the shellac that wouldn't be necessary. I started out years ago using thick Naz-Dar Flock Ink with a stiff fitch, no worry about dripping/spilling 1Shot, and the coverage is great. But its hard to get sometimes, and colors are limited. Now I use Ben Moore acrylic enmanel..two coats
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

They make a mask material specifically for painting fabric awnings. Here's the link: www.fabtac.com

Here's a link to the 'other' forum - and the discussion amongst other sign folks about the same topic:
http://www.letterhead.com/ubb-cgi/ultim ... 45605.html?

It's the easiest way to do it - and the fastest. Trust me on this. We've done it in every way possible - and like some of these suggestions - but the mask and the method are the easiest and quickest. It's all about making money - not being a purist. Save that for the real quality work.

(Howdy Tony!! Howdy Vance!!)
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Thanks for all the tips.I will try it and see.
One thing I've tried to stick with over the years is to hand paint everything as much as possible and not get too involed with letting a machine do a job that i can do.I know that some jobs are better for a machine,like cut out letters or tons of copy for a menu board or making a mask.
If sombody can do it cheaper because they do it on a computer or pump it out of a machine then fine let em have the job.When you figiure in all costs of the computers and eqiupment and over head some shops have I can still do it for the same price most of the time
One of my favorite jobs I've been doing latey is working for a small restaurant chain repainting old signs that my dad hand painted before his death.Try and do that on a computer.For me it's not all about JUST the money but having years of experience , having cleints that know the defference and want a hand made look.Theres something so cool about pulling out the perfect brush and painting a sign by hand that you just can get from useing a computer.

Roderick
www.customglasssigns.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Rod-
How bout practicing your hand work on my Bee Journal piece? Hey...ain't it mental health Friday? All sounds too much like work to me.