Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Black on gold jobs

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Black on gold jobs

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Avoiding varnish on glass backup makes sense and also produces a cleaner appearance. Having used a mixture of 1-Shot Black and Japan Black for drop shades and also for outlining, does this mixture weaken the black? I have heard of concerns with new formulas. The Japan is used to provide a more opaque black. Black gloss enamel provides a strong and durable black when screened but ocassionally there will be one small job of letters and drop shade without panels to further protect the black. Screening the backup with the black gloss enamel, allowing to dry (usually overnight) and then shifting the registration the next day and screening the black provides excellent work especially if duplicate images are required.

I know...Fine Gold black for screening or thinnig to brush makes a good, durable finish. It is hard to break old habits. I've probably answered my own concerns.

As always. Thank you for your wisdom.

Bob
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Bob, Dump all that Japan black mixture & just use back up black & hardener. Screened lettering will be dry enough to rub off the excees in 20 minutes. If you want to re register & print a shadow the drying can be speeded up using powdered litharge or even kaolin between prints, no need to return the next day. Simply rub some on, let stand for a few minutes, clean off with some glass cleaner & reprint..........
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Sheesh....I sound like a broken record but yes...dump that stuff. It simply isn't worth the effort or worry. One shot was never of any real use on glass (in absolute quality terms). I worked for a guy quite a number of years ago who really didn't understand the chemistry of the process and was mixing poster colour with enamel one-shot. YiKKes! If the back-up is unavailable for some reason and you're using a brush, just use the japans straight (not the drop black). They are tough as nails, although as mentioned by many others use the dekkor/ fine gold. The hardener is a huge improvement but don't mix too much. It simply goes hard in the can or cup. After use it's simply of no use again whether you mixed an ounce or a quart
Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Thanks for the advice. It will ease the strain down the line. It reminds me of my old friend and mentor Glenn Thomspson (Steve Parrish era) who used brushing lacquer for quick jobs. They always came out GREAT.

By the way, since I have been out of the mainstream for several decades, what is the "hardener" you refer to in mixing with Japans. Is this the traditional quick rubbing varnish?

Thanks again.

Bob
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Bob, The hardener we are talking about is One Shot Hardener 4007, 5% is usually enough, don't forget to throw it away afterwards..Let us know how it works..........John
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California