Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Picture Frame Moulding

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dennis Davis

Picture Frame Moulding

Post by Dennis Davis »

Do any of you know of a company that will sell picture frame moulding, in stick form, on a small scale? I want to do my own framing and most of the companies that I've found on Google state that a buyer needs to be in the retail frame business to purchase from them. I just started my search this weekend so I haven't been able to ask these vendors if they can recommend a company that will sell in small quantities.

I've been prompted to do my own framing by having priced getting a 6 x 24 inch piece of glass framed with a single faux suede mat and a simple black frame. I won't post the details, but it came to $96 and change. Years ago, I had friends that worked at a now defunct frame shop. They were kind enough to teach me some of the tricks of assembling and matting frames. I feel comfortable in building the frames, I just need to locate a supplier.

Any recommendations or comments would be greatly appreciated. Sorry, this got a bit long winded.

Dennis
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Real Mercier

Post by Real Mercier »

I just ran into the same thing. I have a small shop but not a retail location. Studio Moulding only requires a Tax ID. So far, the service has been excellent with them and they have some very nice moldings.

Hope this helps.

Real Mercier
Real Mercier
West Springfield, MA
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Real,

Thank you for the reply. Can you tell me what they require for a minimum order? Can different styles of moulding be selected to meet the footage requirements? How did you make contact with them to set up your account...did you call the 800 number or email them? We have a tax number so that shouldn't be a problem. If you think of anything else I should know about them, please don't hesitate to post the information.

Since we are in Boise, Idaho I would be working with either the Spokane or San Francisco outlets. They will probably advise which they prefer to have serve my location.

Dennis
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Real Mercier

Post by Real Mercier »

Dennis:

I have had no minimum order. I contacted the local account rep and she set me up. She was very helpful. I got a catalog and some corner samples. I have ordered a couple of ways. I tell them what size my piece is and they send me the sticks for me to finish, and I have ordered the joined frames. The joined frames have been excellent.

Initial contact was made by e-mail and it went quickly from there. Now when I need a frame, I call the 800 number tell them what I need and it comes. Sincce I am new to this, I have to pay with the order but since there is no minimum, this is easy. I order a single frame at a time. So far I am very satisfied with their service and their quality.

Real
Real Mercier
West Springfield, MA
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Real,

Thank you for the information. I found out who the salesperson is for western Idaho so I'll be in contact with her in a few days. I'll be out of town tomorrow so I may call her on Wednesday.

Take care.

Dennis
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho