Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Bar Panels

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Bar Panels

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi guy's
I Finished these four glass panels today for a bar over here. I have always wanted to combine glue chipping with acid toning. These panels were first brilliant cut and then acid etched using white acid, I then cut them back with a weaker acid mix to show the second tone which appears lighter in these pics,its strange how the light changes the toning from different angles. Once that was finished I glue chipped and silvered them. The centre puntie of the star is chemicaly silvered and the gold star is gilded with 23crt.
They will go into a frame which is tilted looking down like the old fascia panels ,they will be inside the bar. There are still a few more to finish after these are fitted. they took a while to make but sort of fun to do.
wanted to show them to you before they are fitted.
Dave

joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Dave,

Those are just breathtaking.
I'm gonna think twice before I use that word again.

Thanks for sharing.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Those are Lovely Dave- The Clock Tower again?
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

(speechless)
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Kent Smith

panels

Post by Kent Smith »

wow again
James Kelly

Post by James Kelly »

Absolutely stunning, Dave. You never cease to amaze me.

I hope you signed them so that in a few hundred years folks will know who did them (thinking of the Crown Bar posts).
James Kelly
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

....CRIKEY!.... :shock:
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

That was one thing I forgot to do was sign them James. The longer panels are signed, I guess I could sign the backs with paint.
Wayne yes it is the Clocktower, It is an on going job for the bar .After Christmas I start on the main windows at the front.
Thanks for your comments and interest here everyone.
Dave
Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Truly remarkable and an inspiration to all of us. Continue to post these images so that we can all enjoy this work of a master.

Bob
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

They are very beautiful Dave.
Satisfy my curious nature and give us a guess at how many hours of time is involved in one of those. :)
Sometimes I wish I could be a fly on your wall to watch and learn...then again you'd probably swat me flat! :lol:
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

DYN-O-MITE :!: :!:
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Smitty....do you ever stop! Drop dead beautiful design as well. A couple of years ago I was at Rob Frese's place and saw the antiques he had there. A few by the P.Pause )sp?) company had an interesting effect and wish now I had taken a photo or 2.....all to say that everyone was wondering how it was done. My contention is that it was chipped with acid after the fact. So have you tried this yet? If so post a shot of the effect. Would be good to settle this once and for all. I did try it on a small area of a job a year or so back but never on an area of any consequence.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Some very kind responses thanks guy's very much to you all. Its great to share our work with people who appreciate our craft. These glass panels Kelly were not that difficult to make . I vectorised the scroll and where the brilliant cuts and punties were to go (2 hours design time max) the drawing was placed under the glass and the cut star and puntie cuts marked out and cut and polished (2 hours per panel)
cut the vinyl mask for the first tone of white acid and etch (1 hour) and leave it to etch for 1 and half hours,(do some thing else while this is etching) apply the second mask and acid etch 1 hour including weeding applying and a 20 minute acid etch water and acid ratio of 3-1. strip off and mask out acid work and cuts (half hour) sand blast and glue chip (including applying asphaltum method 2 hours) clean off and silver glass (1hour) gilding(1 hour double gilded). I think thats it. Total hours per panel 9 hours over say 1 week thats it max.(roughly)
These as you know could be so much more elaborate with bird images and tripple toning but the main thing that pops out to me and brings it alltogether is the chipping.Yes the brilliant cutting adds dimension and looks great with gilding but the chipping is so easy to do yet looks so complex once silvered. I have'nt seen much done like this over here. I know our friend Mr Bernhardt has lots of photos oF English panels he may shed some light on chipping combined with acid etching in England at that time. I would like to get my teeth into an acid etched victorian bird glass panel sometime ,simalar to the panels at the princess louise in London. All down to money at the end of the day I guess. and time........hope this helps
Dave
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

You beat me to that one Doug .Posted at the same time. Could you explain a bit more detail what you seen at Roberts?
I have tried chipping acid but had poor results . Are you saying chip the glass then acid etch the chip?
I like the effect of random asphatltum stippled with a rag and acid etched. Would like to see what your talking about ,sounds interesting mate. Have some very nice English panels and one South African panel to restore in the next month. will post some pics once I get started. They arrived to day from the collector.
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Yes Smitty....chipped then acid. Wasn't that exciting but still another effect to add to batch. To describe it better would be difficult and am hopping that some of Robert's associates near us will have a photo to post. I did take a rubbing at the time but it was before digital cameras were in my household