Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Decorative English Acid Panels

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Decorative English Acid Panels

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I was in London a few weeks back and was looking around an old book shop .I came across this old catalogue on Traditional acid toning and cutting .The book is about 1/2'' thick and it is 16x14 wide loads of info in there ,turned out it was not for sale, the owner let me take some pics though of the window work inside. I think the company was part of Brilliant Signs of London as Grays rd was where they were based at one time. Brilliant signs ceased trading in the early 70's so I'm told. Thought you guy's might like to see these. I have a few more shots which I will upload at some point. Nice to find this old stuff even better if I could of bought it. I uploaded the images slightly bigger for you all to view better
Dave

Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Thats Beautiful Dave-What a find mate! WELL DONE-
and that lettering style! magnificent-( Could that make another Smitty LHF font coming along?):D
MORE PICS PLEASE!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Funny you should say that Wayne . I started the font the day after I found them. Thought it would be a nice one to do ,there is a few letters to re-make though.
Dave
Kent Smith

the book

Post by Kent Smith »

Really nice to see another vintage text like this. Looks like the images are really clear. The overall look is so much different than American vintage from the same period. I am anxious to see more.

Thanks for sharing.
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Dave,
Thanks for sharing your find with us! How incredible that we can find this stuff tucked away in a little book shop and then spread the treasure to our friends across the world.
Did you notice the text on the second pic you posted?
"Special Designs Prepared Without Charge"
OK, now when we do those free sketches we know we stand in line with a long tradition.
Hmmmmm.
There's nothing new under the sun . . .
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Yes I noticed that Dan. Even back then seems they had to offer out deals. Here are two panels of glass I took some photos of a while back.I have posted some like this in the past These panels are in central London, they show the finished product and design that you see in the brochures, there are so many all around London with even more detail than these. The panels are a set of 8 windows 8'ft in height by about 4-5' wide. The mirrors inside are more of a closer match to the designs in the book.

Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

A real find there Smitty. I have a deep passion for that antique English work as it was SOOOO different than what we, or better, the American shops were doing. Grays Inn Rd eh!? I'll have to snoop a bit more through that Victorian Pub book! It's somewhat puzzling to find it in a bookshop and then not for sale? Too bad....but if anyone can talk that guy out of it.....it might also be worth snooping for an available copy since you now have the name.
Doug Bernhardt

also....

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Have been trying to work out if I've ever seen the photoed panels. Where the heck are they? I'd seen quite a bit of work like those(no pub name or identification on the glass....large with bolder designs...no staining and not overly cut) in Liverpool a couple of years back. They weren't as good as the London work as far as intricacies but had a certain look. Top drawer all the same.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

The pub is about 400 metres from Harrods Doug. You know where that is? I pleaded with the guy to sell it, he was too much into advertising also .I asked him to keep an eye out for me for a copy.
Here are some pics from the same book.
Dave
erik winkler

Re: Decorative English Acid Panels

Post by erik winkler »

I got one Dave!
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Stuart Norton

Post by Stuart Norton »

Hi dave I have not got one.

But its strange but some of the acid door side panels are in lot of other books I have seen there must have been a lot of copying going on.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Stuart you have some great reverence books yourself don't you?
From what period are they?
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Erik,
Thanks for moving this post forward. I had forgotten about it.
Pat