Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Hellooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dan Sawatzky

Hellooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Dan Sawatzky »

I drop into this site on occasion for there are many talented sign folks here whom I have admired for many, many years. Some I have had the honor to meet and a few I am proud to call friends. I hope to make many more!

The work displayed here and on the websites of the members is nothing short of breath taking. It blows me away. The wealth of knowlege on gold and glass work along with hand lettering is simply amazing. Its a priceless resource for those who seek to learn a type of work which once was in danger of disappearing. I have a tremendous amount to learn with regard to gold and glass, I do only occasional hand lettering, but I love signs - especially dimensional work and have achieved some measure of success in my craft. I treasure the ability to hang with others who talk and are passionate about signs.

This board currently feels (to me) like the first Letterhead meets I attended many years ago. Like every newby and wannabe Letterhead who walks into a meet clinging to their tattered little portfolio of their very best work, now suddenly, shamefully inadequate. Its like walking into a world class museum or library... my footsteps echo loudly and intimidation sets in big time... I feel as if all eyes are on me... wondering why I dare set foot here among the giants of the craft. What have I got to add to this exclusive club... Its alarmingly quiet here.

Eventually I work up the courage to type up a post... I see the counter roll as many view it, and yet replies in support or otherwise or even a friendly hi don't materialize. Am I worthy? Can I join in.... Helloooooooooooo?

I'm looking for spirited discussion, friendly debate of ideas related to our profession, support from friends who understand the tough world we seek to ply our trade. I'm looking to encourage other newbies who dare venture here... the hope of the future of our craft. Even they have much to teach me from their experiences in the trade.

And yet in a far corner I hear the friendly banter and laughter of 'deadmen'... a secret society of sorts... I wish I could join in but the language, although funny, doesn't make much sense to my ears.

I understand that off topic posts are not encouraged on this BB and I certainly respect and admire this rule... but it seems not many have much to say about signwork and topics which relate to the craft we all passionately love and work at so hard on a daily basis.

I know from my own experience that there is much to learn and I search hard and long for those who would share with me. In return I will share all I have learned. What I want most of all is to form new friendships with those who share this same passion for all things related to signs... and these folks I know visit this place... world class talent, beginner and all those who would take this exciting journey.

To Danny & Mike who kindly replied to my post - thanks. To the rest out there??? Hi... my name is dan. I'm so very glad to be here. :D

-dan
Isn't it great to love what love what you do and do what you love!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the intro. You are certainly welcome here. I will be the first to admit there are lots of talented people reading and posting on this forum. It is a great spot to gather and exchange information. For anyone here that might not be familiar with Dan's work, just sit back and enjoy the ride. He'll certainly knock your socks off! Besides being innovative and terribly creative, his work is just plain fun to look at. Danny posted a few photos in the other post, but I am sure Dan will post more here in the future.

As long as I have anything to do with overseeing the forum, the plan is to keep the conversation generally "on topic". There are lots of other BBs and forums on just about any thing off-topic you can imagine, but I like the idea of knowing most of the information here is intended to inform, teach, or better your business in some for or another. That's not to say we won't "ever" see an off-topic post, just that we hope is the exception and not the norm. It usually takes a new person or two to keep adding "new blood" to the forum. Sometimes that person is a newbie to the trade and they have end to end questions. That's great. In Dan's case, we have someone with a treasure chest of talent, skills, and techniques we are all hoping he is willing to share with the rest of us. I also believe Dan has a following of readers that may want to join this forum to add to the conversations and techniques as he starts posting here.

So, again, WELCOME to Dan and the other recent new members!

Mike Jackson: Co-Administrator
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Dan Sawatzky

Let me introduce myself.

Post by Dan Sawatzky »

For those not familiar with the type of signs our little company specializes in, take a look at our website by clicking on the www link in the box under my post. I fully realise that most of our work is 'out there' as defined by the typical work many sign shops do these ways. Even so I proudly consider myself a signmaker and letterhead at heart. Sign folks are my very best friends.

A sign shop in the old days used to be one of the most creative places in town... the place other businesses turned to when they wanted something unusual and beautiful. Sadly, most shops today are simply places where you go to get them stickers stuck on flat boards. And as we all know the training and skills which used to be aquired over long periods of time at the feet of one who was at it a lot longer than us is gone. Much of the sign business is reduced to simply plunking money down for the right equipment to create an instant sign shop. It makes me sad but I'm not going to sit and moan about it. I have much better things to do!

I maintain that the 'instant sign' shops which surround me (and everyone else here) are not the end of our craft. Far from it. The fact that we can do a lucrative business doing EXACTLY the type of signs I LOVE to do with virtually no competition is proof of that. We don't (and probably never will have) a plotter in our shop. I don't hate vinyl signs... I just choose to not make them personally. They have their place and make sense in most cases.

My definition of signs is not usual... 'signs' in my book are not flat nor square and often don't even have words on them. But these 'signs' do bring attention to my client's places of business, and products. This work is also unbelievably challenging and FUN to do! Our market is not in our own town, its far too small for that, but I love to live here. Instead we sell to the world around me using the internet and other modern methods to spread the word. We embrace modern methods, tools and technology to the absolute max and combine these with old world skills to use the best of both worlds. It all has to make sense.

I've made it a personal mission to have no secrets in our shop. I want to share both what we do and how we do it... both the craft and the business side of it too. I love attending Letterhead meets where knowlege of the sign industry is both shared and learned. I welcome friends and visting professionals into my shop regularly and share as much as I can with them - no holds barred.. We are also intending to do intensive specialized workshops on an ongoing basis which are to be paid events.

I have a passion for my craft which is second to none... I LOVE what I do and it makes me HAPPY! Every day. I LOVE going to 'WORK' (although my friends maintain I have yet to work a day in my life) I'm also eager to encourage others to break the mold, and do wonderful, imaginative things in the sign world. While I don't often use traditional materials and tools in the work we create, I do add the most essencial of ingredients... and theyare IMAGINATION, CREATIVITY and hard earned SKILLS. I love to learn things old, add modern materials, use the latest in tools, and then create projects which simply take people's breath away. I love to make people smile with our work.

I do not do what I do for the money, but instead for the love of what I do. I would happily do what I do for free if I really had to. But that being said, I absolutely believe an artist should NOT have to starve, but rather be paid top dollar for the value and product they deliver to their clients.

I intend to hang around and post fairly often here. I'll speak of my views, opinions and unique perspective on a regular basis. I welcome readers to chime in, agree or disagree with my statements and views as you please. Discuss them... debate them or whatever... but I encourage you to not simply read and sit quiet for in doing so I and others don't learn. This is what the site was created for.

We have much to share and learn here. I'm going to give it a go with the same passion I attack everything I do.

I'm also a very proud grampa of the most beautiful and talented grand daughter Phoebe (age 2.9) and have the delightful privilege of having her visit and learn (and teach me) in our shop each day. And so proudly sign my name to each post I type...

-grampa dan
Isn't it great to love what love what you do and do what you love!
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Hi Dan-
I have greatly admired your creativity for years- and now your here!.WOW ...( this Intimidation thing cuts both ways) :lol:

I know your gonna bring some great things to this board- Looking forward to your posts.

Wayne
Catharine C. Kennedy

Welcome aboard

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

Delighted to see your postings overhere as well. As you know I'm one of those newbies that sit (fairly) quietly absorbing the awesome stuff presented here- and I'l NEVER run out of things to learn! VERY COOL!
Catharine :lol:
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Raymond Chapman

?

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Dan who?
Larry White

Hi Dan...

Post by Larry White »

We're all friends here. No one's excluded. Glad you're joining in.

From my view point, you happened to arive just when everyone is swamped with work. Guess that's a good thing. But it doesn't leave much time for working on fancy personal projects and making forum posts. I wonder where some people are too. Guess they're busy.

I'll always try to reply when I can.

Gotta run.....

-Larry
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Hey Dan! :)

Welcome to the other side......er, I mean site! :lol:

I've been visiting here awhile and have enjoyed the interaction. I tend to come up with some crazy ideas about some things and like to experiment. Rather than getting blown off, I've found some good direction and an openness to explore ideas beyond the established "truths".
There is also an active carver here (Doug Bernhart) who I can relate to (however different our styles are). Also, awhile back I posted a step-by-step on one of my carvings and although there wasn't a lot of chat about it, it has recieved over 2,000 hits (honest, no more than half were mine.... :wink: ) and still does. So it seems like just because there isn't a lot of dialog going on, doesn't mean that the purpose of this site hasen't been fulfilled.
I'm looking foward to your topics and posts and I promise to ignore Ray's digs :lol: .

Joe,
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Dan Who?? Oh ya the fun guy!! Have been admiring his work for years also and in fact you beat me to the punch building a cool shop WAAAAYYYY before me. We had a discussion about that as well and, as I recall, a pint or 2 in California a few years back. Joe says some nice things about me from time time and I don't let that go to my head...I work with a great bunch and besides I only have to pay small monthly installments to him. So ya...welcome back.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hey Joe,
Keep the step by steps coming!!! I really enjoyed them and I know others do, too.

And....that Texan down there among the armadillos is invited to contribute a step by step once in a while, too. Cold here today. :)

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Kent Smith

Howdy

Post by Kent Smith »

Hiya Dan,

Glad to see you over here. I think you will find that many of us don't post every day or even every week. We are ALL friends here and sometimes just don't need to repeat what every other post has already said. No need to post if we don't have anything constructive to add which helps to keep this site clear and relavant. I think it is encouraging to have lots read a post though.

I don't think we have seen each other since Banff but I am always interested in seeing your projects. I am particularly interested in how you approach a project and choose interesting materials to use. What you have to say helps the rest of us to think outside or our boxes.

Please keep posting and don't be discouraged if we don't post soon, we still are benefitting from your wisdom.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Dido to what Kent has added but to break the rules just a little....How cold is it there Mike? I think the folks where I live could teach you both (Dan and Ray especially) a thing or 2 about temperature drops!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Doug,
I think the high today was about 28°F, with a little wind and overcast to partly cloudy skies. Considering it is the middle of November, I guess we are supposed to start getting used to it. I believe it will be a little warmer tomorrow to make way for a new cold front for the weekend. We hear rain and snow mix for the weekend. Typically, we seem to get a winter storm on Halloween when the kids want to be out getting treats. They are about over all that now.

While talking about weather might be slightly off topic, it does affect what we do regionally. We haven't dug post holes in 20 years of living here, but if we did we'd have to start thinking about perma-frost and rock hard ground. Of course, we now have to bring our 4x8 panels inside to paint them. In the dead of winter, people just make "sleds" for the real estate signs, with sacks of sand or concrete holding them in place. Cold weather slows us down here some because of our limited space. Our electric heater is keeping up right now, but as it gets to -20°F in January, it just barely knocks the cold off the shop. Raymond Chapman gets to make fun of me in the winter, making him fair game in the summer when it is broiling hot there and we are pleasantly cool. Yes, I suspect you guys north of the border can top our best horror stories concerning weather. While we pay the price for living in the cold north, at least we do have ski resorts and winter sports to make it somewhat worth it. I haven't been much of a skier in the past five or six years, but it nice to know the mountain is there.

Cheers!
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello Dan.
Managed to get back online here. My roughter packed in so no internet for 4 days, felt like the world had stopped . Dan you make some very nice work. Your workshop looks great.
Great to see what your upto keep posting buddy!.
Dave