Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Update time Vance?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

Update time Vance?

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

A while back Vance was experimenting with clears etc over different carats of gold on an involved project he was working on. I'm hoping to hear how it all went? From the problems (if any) to the final install.
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

Hey Doug, thanks for asking. The project went well. Sprayed Rolco quick size, chopped up metal leaves in coffee grinder (just a quick hit on the button...thanks for that tip Danny), placed all the different karat pieces in a cigar box, mixed/fluffed them up, and kinda scattered with a wide brush over the sized bird. I cleared with One Shot acrylic uv (for ease of re-application when needed). I have pics, but posting photos is a mystery to me........(no matter what I read that explains how to)............
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

ps......forgot to mention a few of the first steps. I primed with two coats of Ben Moore solvent base, then one coat of one shot imitation gold, sprayed sized, then gave it a good dusting of mixed colored Mica powder, sized again ...then gilded
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Vance...which size did you use? Have heard many pros and cons re; the new Lefranc and if that is what you used (12hr) did it sag? Also....I think you need a website to upload to, so you can place a link on this page....did it once or twice and then let the " Non-TechHead" in me take over again!
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

I used a recently purchased can of Rolco size,........... never used that brand before (the first can I ever bought some 30 years ago was Rolco, and I still have it)......Lee Littlewood uses it all the time. When I sprayed it (straight), it tacked real quick (30 minutes) and didn't stay open too long. I have a website, and I'm doing good just to get there, let alone post photos from it.........hahaaa
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Hey Vance......I just checked out your web site.....Good looking work!!! :)

I see you pick up a carving tool once and awhile too.

I also seeyou live just up over the hill from my son and grand daughter.....he's in Bend.

Some day maybe we can connect.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Yeo Vance.....it's soon time to take a survey of all the gilding sizes and methods. I for one go for the slowest of sizes and have been mixing a 12 and 24hr. version for quite a few years. I get excellent results and it's never ever ready before I am. A quick is just too unpredictable for me. I hear many say they get good results from them but I see lots of patchy gilds around and I know I used to have the same problems. The "Boss" used a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of one shot and slow Lefrancs....and back when we met at Noel's even he used a little slow in his quick on the glass pieces. Both master craftsmen par excellence!!
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

I also use LeFrancs slow size most of the time Doug, but because this project had to be cleared, and there was a time delivery factor, I had some concerns about slow size being fully cured . I really don't like size that's ready too fast either.