Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Brilliant Cutting

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Brilliant Cutting

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I came across this image of a man cutting a design into plate glass over a cutting wheel. The work looks intricate, he appears to be working with possibly a puntie wheel to create these shapes.
Dave

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hey Dave,
Thanks for all the nice contributions to the site! These have all been way too cool!
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Mike. It's a great site to share all our techniques and stories and to be part of such a talented bunch of people.
If I come across anything sign and glass related it will be posted here for interest!
Thanks
Dave
Raymond Chapman

Thanks

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Thanks for sharing Dave. I especially like the high tech seating equipment.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Looks like he's not working alone Either?..( is that another pulley -set up to his Left?)- Love the 28Lb weight holding things steady too.
Great Find Dave!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

That other bench is probably his polishing bench Wayne , saves time swapping over wheels when your in between cutting and polishing.
Some of the earlier companies would have several cutting stations working at the same time. Yes Ray you would think he could have found a decent chair to sit on .
Dave
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Hey Dave,
This quite possibly could be the man who cut the panels that are on the original Queen Mary. The figures are of a Greek flavor and executed similarly to the one in his hand.
I wouldn't be surprised to find that exact panel residing on a wall of the dining room on board.
The cutter of the Queen Mary panels was supposedly known for his specific style of cutting fiqures into glass. There are figures and musical instruments depicted.
The ones on the ship were cut, then polished, then the panel was hand ground with fine emery powder and then silvered.
The decorative glass panels on the ship were originally done by The London Decorative Glass Company that you posted the advertisement on earlier.
The ship's glass exhibits treatments of acid etching, brilliant cutting, silvering, and glass casting. That London glass company must have been quite a place, full of specialized departments.
I have replaced some of the acid etched panels in the Cunard ticket office on board that had been accidentally broken by movie crews filming on the ship.
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

That is strange Pat. I was just about to post some pictures of some fabulous cutting done by this firm from on board the ss Coronia . I spoke with James Witchell yesterday and he mentioned the same cut panels also. These images are from a catalogue I bought on the internet a few days ago called (Glass) Presented by the London Sand Blast Decorative Glass Works Ltd. It's not the same catalogue as the previous one I showed you but it is the same company manufacturing but 40 years on. These cut panels are so spot on and there big! half inch glass 6'x2' remarkable detail from the cutter.
Here is a selection of there work in this book. Also the ship was dismantled in New York and Scrapped apparently, someone has this glass hanging on there wall.
Dave

there are two more of these designsin the book.
The panels you are talking about Pat with full musical images are in also inside the book.
I'll scan them up tommorow and place them on here. Got to go and have some breakfast and do some work now.
Dave