Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Silver patina finish

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Silver patina finish

Post by Roderick Treece »

This ones from the no brain left dept.
Years ago I did a finish on silver leaf that looked like dark lead.Anybody know how to do that.All I remember is that it was a 2 part chemical process.You put one chemical on and then when you apply the next one it turned the silver into a beutiful dark lead patina.

Thanks Roderick
P.S Thanks for finding my check John!Gtta love those Englishmen
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

The best way to turn silver dark is with sulpher - as in egg yolks and/or mayonnaise. The book Coloring, Bronzing and Patination of Metals says to wipe it with ammonium sulphide using a soft cloth then rinse and let air dry. I don't know of a standard patina that has ammonium sulphide in it.

Or you could by-pass the silver and mirror it with lead sulphide directly (shameless self-promotion - sorry - it just slipped out)

Sarah
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Thanks for the reply Sara.
I will try your suggestion.I've received a little more info on the "Lead finish I discribribed.After apllying silver leaf with oil size.Wash on Cupric Nitrite/ ammonium chloride first and then barium sulfide second without rinseing between.It produces a beutiful lead finish.This does not work on water guilded (glass ) SILVER ,only oil guilded.It would be nice to try it with chemical silver mirroring .That might work.As soon as I receive the ratios I will let you know.

Roderick
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

Sounds like a great way to "antique" a silver mirror - if it works on mirror. I'd love to know the ratios for it. Please keep us posted.

Sarah
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com