Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Visiting with Lola

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Patrick Mackle

Visiting with Lola

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I finished an on site etching job near Lola's house and dropped by to see her. She seems to being doing well, her spirits are well but she is burdened with her arthritic knees that were forecasting the coming rain.
She reminded me that as of this March 11th it will be 5 years since we lost Rick. She says she never goes to the old Fine Gold building since the change. That's just as well since I believe the only thing that resembles what we knew of the Fine Gold Shop is the Esoteric Supply area and it had been offered on Ebay just a while back.
I was a little disturbed as I turned onto her street and noticed her house had been repainted, I thought she had moved out. But she answered the door and welcomed me inside. It is a nice house for her, warm and clean with little memories of the types of talents that Rick mustered out of the past.
We spent several hours talking about Rick, the conclaves and all the talented people that passed through Rick's door like thirsty little sponges ready to soak up more knowledge.
They say that behind every great man there is a woman. That would have to be Lola.
Pat
Kent Smith

Lola

Post by Kent Smith »

Glad to hear of your visit and that you actually got to see her. I call periodically but don't leave a message if she is not there because I don't want her to feel obligated to call me. Except for the expected Rhumatoid Arthritis issues, she sounds well over the phone so I am glad to hear a first hand report. Also glad the house has been painted as it was ready for that. It is a perfect little home for her, I agree. It sure does not feel like it has been almost 5 years, but it also seems like it was only a few before that we had the first Conclave. I don't even like to drive by the old building and we went the other way the last time we took her to lunch.

Behind every man there is a Great woman.
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Thanks for the update. Several times I have taken folks by to meet and get to know Lola and to catch up on the latest news myself. She's always a gracious host. Normally, I try to take her out to eat, but sometimes she doesn't feel up to it. Once, she had just had the house exterminated and was pooped from all the moving and cleaning...so we just sat and visited.

Whenever anyone remembers Rick there will always be a thought of Lola. They were a pair. It is alarming to think what may have happened to Rick if it had not been for the loving nature of Lola. She rescued him from a life of destruction.

Thank God for people who are positive influences. Most of us would not be where we are today without that special person in our life that keeps whispering to us that we really are special and can do so much more than we think. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do something special for them before it may be too late. Many of us tried to thank Rick for all that he did for us while standing beside his casket. It would have meant so much more if we had taken the time to do it while he could still hear us. Flowers for the living have a much greater impact that those things said at a funeral.

OK...end of sermon.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Thanks from here too. Anyone that met Rick, or even talked to him was made to feel special. Individuals like that are rare. Same go's for Lola.

As far as flowers, forget flowers. I was invited to a cousins family gathering 7 years ago. I barely remembered the cousin since we hadn't seen each other in over 20 years. He'd come to the realization that he was attending too many funerals, and couldn't say what he should have said face to face.

So, he made a point of gathering everyone he could think of, immediate family or not, to get to know.... and appreciate those people here and now.

We make it a point not to miss those gatherings ...... and to tell those around us how special they are now.

Thanks Pat.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Pat.
When I was over a few months back John Studden took me over to see Lola. We visited her for about an hour ,she seemed very well considering everything she has been through .It was also nice to see that her neigbours were keeping an eye on how she was. Also good to see she had a number of signs that Rick had made that were once hanging on the walls of Fine Gold.
Glad you got to see her Pat.
Dave
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Danny - that's what the "flowers" are - words spoken of appreciation before the funeral.