Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

The Hensley Co.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

CHRIS MAHURON

Re: The Hensley Co.

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

Someone just listed this one from The Hensley Co on e-bay.......120799490026.......first time I've seen it in this size,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Attachments
$(KGrHqQOKk!E59vbnV)sBOnejjyyUQ~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqQOKk!E59vbnV)sBOnejjyyUQ~~60_3.jpg (113.74 KiB) Viewed 20625 times
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

I bought this Private Bar sign........ nobody bid on it for months on e-bay..........I will give it a good home......... :lol:
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

E- BAY# 260926103733 .............>>This auction just ended, and it sold for $227.00........I don't believe it...........I think it will be relisted soon.............
Attachments
$(KGrHqVHJCUE7zPTjmjPBO+moFM!Tw~~60_0.jpg
$(KGrHqVHJCUE7zPTjmjPBO+moFM!Tw~~60_0.jpg (2.38 KiB) Viewed 20401 times
Last edited by CHRIS MAHURON on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Definitely looks like a Hensley. If so the seller is passing it off as an antique.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Seems there's another Hensley sign up on ebay....
JackDaniels.jpg
JackDaniels.jpg (64.81 KiB) Viewed 20395 times
Not hard to spot, if ya know what to look for...

Ebay Auction click here

-Aho!

CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

On E-Bay under Hensley co
Attachments
140.jpg
140.jpg (6.18 KiB) Viewed 20274 times
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

I love this stuff.

Is anyone making these, these days (as their own originals :D ) as I think they are wonderful?
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

This remake of The Hensley Co."Colt sign" seems to be all over the place. It's even seen in the pawn shop in the movie "Pulp Fiction"..............they always sell.........this one is on e-bay now.
Attachments
P1010768_060.jpg
P1010768_060.jpg (7.2 KiB) Viewed 20183 times
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

Picked up this little glass tray from The Hensley Co. a couple of weeks ago...........
Attachments
$(KGrHqF,!h0E68grt(9bBO3oFJKJoQ~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqF,!h0E68grt(9bBO3oFJKJoQ~~60_12.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 20212 times
Anthony Bennett

Thanks for sharing Chris,
I really like these .

What I still don't understand is how they come to be worth less than the total cost of the wood, mirror, paint.leaf and time to make.
For example, becauase of your link I have looked at finished items selling for less than you can buy a blank mirror for here in the UK.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Here is my version of the Colt 45 Hensley sign
Attachments
Colt45#1 copy.jpg
Colt45#1 copy.jpg (60.97 KiB) Viewed 20153 times
Anthony Bennett

Cool Roderick
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

I don't understand why they are sometimes overlooked.........of course the pictures really don't do them justice...........one thing for sure, if it wasn't for the internet it would be impossible to find them..........I have an original "Colt 45 Sign" by The Hensley Co. in the 24" x 17" size. I tried to put up a picture, but it's too big and my photoshop is dead.................I really like your Colt sign Rod...............beautiful work!
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

On e-bay under Hensley Co
Attachments
$(KGrHqF,!oUE8Vws2sK!BPFgRLyHj!~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqF,!oUE8Vws2sK!BPFgRLyHj!~~60_12.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 20108 times
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

My experience with these tells me it's a knockoff......I have quite a few, but have yet to find one signed Hensley Co. with the fan in the oval.......this one would be 2' across!.......EBAY #120848816586
Attachments
$(KGrHqNHJBUE8e7z,CI+BPHvImzB1Q~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqNHJBUE8e7z,CI+BPHvImzB1Q~~60_12.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 20013 times
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

The seller says 17" square, so I measured one of mine, the sides are 17"- and it's 24" corner to corner across the 9 and 3...................
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

I was driving on Rt 27 in Edison NJ and saw this sign in a Fan shop window. I think its one of his signs. Forgive me if I'm wrong. I had to stop and take a picture of it. Its still in the window of the fan shop doing its job, selling fans! It looked about 40"wide x about 16"high. It looked pretty beat up but still had integrety.
Attachments
CasablancaSignRt27sEdisonNJ.jpg
CasablancaSignRt27sEdisonNJ.jpg (142.78 KiB) Viewed 19927 times
Bob Gamache
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

Wow, that one has some miles on it- but still makes you look...............such a great design ! The big Casablanca Signs measure 55 1/2" x 24 1/2"...............Casablanca had some re-pops made, but they say California instead of Pasadena under the fan..............that one is the real deal...............
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Chris the next time I'm up that way ill go inside the shop and measure it.. It easily could havr been that size you mentioned. Its hanging in the window about 8 or 9 ft off the ground. Its abolutely beautiful. The foil behind the lettering has a square diagonal pattern in it. So cool.
Bob Gamache
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

E BAY #170790079415
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!jQE6805ie,GBO+Nri(9F!~~60_35.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!jQE6805ie,GBO+Nri(9F!~~60_35.jpg (17.83 KiB) Viewed 19683 times
Nikki Hensley

Post by Nikki Hensley »

Hi everyone,

My name is Nikki, I am Dean Hensley's niece. I'm currently helping my grandfather clean out his house, and I have a huge collection of Hensley mirrors/signs/clocks..everything that was made, in pretty much any design and size you could want. I'm looking to see if anyone in the Southern California area is interested in purchasing and of the Hensley Co. pieces. There are a lot of really neat ones, including some that were completely done by hand. If anyone is interested please let me know and I'd be happy to chat with you :) You can reach me at my email: nik.hensley90@gmail.com

Thanks!
Nikki
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

My brother sent me this picture of an old Coca-Cola sign he saw at the Goodwill.
Looks like a Hensley piece. They were asking $99 for it...seems a little high for a thrift store piece.
Hey, if anyone wants it, I could make arrangements.
CocaColaAtGoodwillWeb.jpg
CocaColaAtGoodwillWeb.jpg (125.24 KiB) Viewed 18130 times
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Larry,

Did you brother take a picture of the back of the sign.?

There might be a rubber stamped name on the back.

I see the photo of the woman slipped out of place...an easy fix.

There are quite a few of these on eBay...here are some photos of one of them.
Attachments
Coke1.jpg
Coke1.jpg (130.61 KiB) Viewed 18051 times
Coke2.JPG
Coke2.JPG (100 KiB) Viewed 18046 times
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

I received an email from a individual that has a Bowman & Hensley reverse glass sign.

Here are a few photos of that sign.

Any information on this sign is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (111.16 KiB) Viewed 18052 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (100.92 KiB) Viewed 18041 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (77.08 KiB) Viewed 18054 times
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

Hi Robare,
My response is based on what I know, and a little reverse relationship history educated guessing. I may be able to find more true info in the future.
The Bowman referred to is Greg Bowman. He was one of the talented bunch along with Dean that had links and shared a love of things "old" in the Pasadena area.
Anyone who was fortunate enough to attend a yearly get together at Dean Hensley's house (Dean would hire the IN-N-Out burger truck to his house to serve burgers) would see this inside group of ledgendary people. Dean was kind of the hub that drew these people together. There were antique car and motorcycle people, There were owners of sign shops, Burton Burton, the founder of Casa Blanca Fans. There were owners of period lighting factories like Craftsman style and Tiffany lily lamps(Bob Totosian). Sign painting teachers(Bob McDaniels) and other interesting and talented characters.
Early on, I believe that Greg Bowman and Dean Hensley teamed up for a short time to make these replica period signs. I remember a day at Dean's other house on Allen Avenue in Pasadena when I stopped by and I believe it was Greg there with Dean. And they were recalling trying to glue chip some long glass panels in the sun out on Dean's driveway. They recalled how the long glass panels began to bend under the strength of the hide glue, only to eventually break into pieces. I can still picture Dean laughing as the told the story.
Greg and Dean must have split up their original collaboration represented by the card, and Dean continued on to create "The Hensley Company" during which he designed and made the signs pictured earlier on this post. Greg, I believe teamed up with John Totozian with a company called Buffalo Metals, in which they made some really awesome Tiffany Lamp reproductions. After Buffalo Metals disbanded, Greg went on to do his own lighting for a time. The last time I spoke with Greg Bowman he was at a sort of low point. I have not heard much about him lately. I will ask around to see any update on him. So that is my spin on this mirror with the card on the back.
Bill Masters

Post by Bill Masters »

I have the same Coca Cola that my son gave me
it was left in a appartment he was renting in Philly